The Utrecht University MSc in Banking and Finance is an excellent foundation for many positions within international firms. The programme trains you to become an effective economist with a sound understanding of the interplay between financial institutions and international capital markets. You will understand clearly the practical impact of the financial industry on the people of the world, using a management perspective that takes a broader societal view into account. As a graduate, you will be well-prepared for a range of different careers in financial institutions or the financial service industry like (international) banks, investment funds, insurance firms, pension funds or financial market regulators.
This MSc in Banking and Finance provides you with the knowledge, understanding, and skills necessary for a career in a variety of financial institutions and with a focus on banks, investment funds and regulation. You will gain specialised knowledge, for example in sustainable finance, which is highly relevant for a new generation of bankers and regulators. This Master’s programme includes all important aspects of modern banking and finance. On this basis you have the opportunity to specialize in fields like international financial markets, investment banking, and sustainable finance.
Much of what you will be confronted with is practice related, in the form of real-world cases or engagement with professionals from financial institutions and regulatory agencies. You will also be able to actively participate in major research projects, conduct your own research, present your results, and write short essays and a major thesis. You will have the opportunity to be part of high-profile debates in the Sustainable Finance Lab on the role of finance and how to make it more sustainable.
By the end of this programme in Utrecht you will be able to:
- understand how financial assets are priced;
- manage investments in financial assets;
- understand how (international) financial markets function and how they are regulated;
- understand financial risk and how it is managed in financial insitutions;
- understand the role of banks and how they function;
- understand the challenges and possible solutions to make finance more sustainable;
- put academic knowledge and skills into practice;
- conduct independent research which contributes to the field of economics and business;
- solve problems independently and in a team, while taking social factors into consideration;
- demonstrate mastery of subject-specific English terminology;
- manage your own personal and professional development
CFA University Affiliated Program
Utrecht University is an Affiliated University with the CFA Institute. The MSc program in Banking and Finance is recognized by CFA Institute as incorporating at least 70% of the CFA® Program Body of Knowledge, including the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standard of Practice for financial practitioners.
[Read the whole press release in PDF]
As such, this master program position well students interested in enrolling in the CFA® Program and obtain the CFA® charter, the designation of excellence in the investment community. To qualify for the CFA® charter, you need to pass 3 exams and have a number of years of working experience. U.S.E. can offer scholarships to outstanding master students to undertake CFA® exams at a special price.
For more information about the CFA® charter, please visit the CFA® Institute website.