Financial markets play a key role in the stability and prosperity of economies, governments and organisations, with profound effect on the individual and society as a whole. Are you fascinated by the dynamic context of today’s financial markets, and do you want to make a positive impact on the future of international finance and banking? Then the Master’s programme in Banking and Finance at Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) is the programme for you.
The real world perspective
The Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) aims to contribute to an economy where people flourish. We enrich economics with other disciplines to better solve problems and identify opportunities, from a business and a government point of view. Scientifically rigorous and societally relevant. The real world perspective.
Based on Utrecht University’s research expertise, this unique and state-of-the-art Finance Master’s gives you a deep understanding of the interaction between the economic environment, economic policy, financial markets and financial institutions.
Content of the programme
In the Master's programme in Banking and Finance you will focus on:
- investment banking in international financial markets
- regulation of banks and other financial institutions worldwide
- central bank policies and commercial banks’ strategic allocation, funding and investment decisions
- risk management and the sustainability of financial systems and investments.
Development of programming skills
The ability to work with a programming language is gaining importance in the financial industry. Therefore, this Master’s programme encompasses programming workshops from the start of the academic year where you learn to program in Python. Aptitude for or some experience in programming is highly recommended. Later in the programme it is optional to further advance your programming skills.
This MSc in Banking and Finance provides state-of-the-art education for a new generation of financial professionals with an open mind for the world around us.
CFA University Affiliated Programme
The Master's programme in Banking and Finance is part of the CFA Institute® University Affiliation Programme. As such, this Master’s programme is a good choice for students interested in enrolling in the CFA Programme and obtaining the CFA charter, the designation of excellence in the investment community. U.S.E. can offer scholarships to outstanding master students to undertake CFA exams at a special price. [Read the press release for more information]
The Master's programme in Banking and Finance provides you with:
- the knowledge, understanding, and skills necessary for a career in Finance;
- the opportunity to specialise in fields like investment banking and financial regulation;
- a chance to develop quantitative and coding skills and learn how to use them in financial applications;
- the opportunity to apply theory in practice with real-world case studies, research projects based on your interests, thesis internships, and career events;
- the opportunity to take part in debates in the Sustainable Finance Lab (SFL) and in the European Centre for Alternative Finance (ECAF), both of which are hosted at U.S.E.
Upon completion of the Master's programme in Banking and Finance you are prepared for a wide range of positions in (international) financial institutions: central and commercial banks, consulting firms, investment funds, hedge funds, insurance firms, pension funds or financial market regulators.
- International Economics and Business
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 1 year
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2024-2025: € 2,530
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2024-2025: € 20,043
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Law, Economics and Governance