Are you wondering what the influence of the coronavirus will be on your studies? Visit the information specific for this study program or visit our corona FAQ for prospective students.
Make a difference in health care
With evidence-based medicine setting new standards, highly trained academic specialists are needed for the design, data collection, analysis and interpretation of epidemiological and health research. Do you see yourself in a future career as an epidemiologist and clinical researcher? Join our programme, sign up!
Applied research at the intersection of data and medicine
The Master’s programme Epidemiology is an excellent opportunity if you have a strong interest in applied medical or biomedical research, as well as human or veterinary medicine. Examine the distribution and determinants of health and morbidity in specific populations. This scientific discipline is increasingly in demand in clinical research, industry and policymaking.
I gained the confidence to work as a professional.
The Master’s programme in Epidemiology is also offered on postgraduate level. Choose between face-to-face and online education, so students in various stages of their careers can opt for a suitable study programme.
A life full of learning in life sciences starts from a solid basis. Unleash you talents and shape your future in our Master's programme
Why you should study Epidemiology at Utrecht University
- Learn to operate as an epidemiologist and clinical researcher in basic epidemiological and statistical courses and during your own research project.
- Choose your own specialization such as Clinical Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, Pharmacoepidemiology, Medical Statistics, Environmental & Occupational Epidemiology or Veterinary Epidemiology. Grab the opportunity to enhance and broaden your knowledge through additional topic-specific courses, like Fundamentals in Global Health and Cardiovascular Epidemiology.
- Prepare for a career in research. We offer a true research Master's, with a practical approach of epidemiological research design. Starting from the clinical question instead of a theoretical approach is unique in the Netherlands as well as internationally.
- Study and work at the Utrecht University, the University Medical Center Utrecht and the Julius Center, which is one of the most prestigious institutions worldwide in the field of clinical epidemiology and unique in its diversity.
- The Master’s programme Epidemiology has intensive collaboration with research institutes throughout the world, allowing you to gain valuable experience abroad.
Our Epidemiology programme offers you an integrated learning experience through the close relationship between epidemiological research and clinical practice, exemplified by the fact that UMC Utrecht chose Clinical Epidemiology as one of its main research themes. Utrecht University is one of the main centres for epidemiologic research in the Netherlands, combining several high-quality epidemiological research groups in various faculties.
Graduate School of Life Sciences
Life Sciences is one of the four strategic themes of Utrecht University and is organised in the Graduate School of Life Sciences (GSLS). The GSLS brings together the research expertise and facilities of the faculties of Science, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, in cooperation with UMC Utrecht. Research at the GSLS is highly interdisciplinary, because scientific breakthroughs take place where physics, medicine, chemistry and biology interact.
Introducing Life Sciences
Every year all new Master’s students of the Graduate School of Life Sciences start their academic year with a mandatory introduction week. Introducing Life Sciences (ILS) is part of the course Life Sciences Academy and covers aspects of academic education, including science integrity, career development and valorisation & industry.
Students are able to follow their Master’s programme at UMC Utrecht, one of the largest academic medical centers in the Netherlands. UMC Utrecht focuses on a number of fields; selected students get educated by some of the best researchers in these research areas. Students get ample opportunities for excellent internships both at UMC Utrecht and abroad with our international partners. They also have access to the large research infrastructure and research network of the focus areas.
World class university
Choosing Utrecht University means choosing one of the best universities in the country. Several renowned international rankings place Utrecht University among the 100 best universities in the world. Moreover, in a survey among Dutch professors it was proclaimed the best university in the Netherlands. The teaching environment at Utrecht University is international: half of the Utrecht Master's programmes are taught in English. The existing and former academic staff of Utrecht University include twelve Nobel Prize laureates.
City of Utrecht
The University is situated in Utrecht, a lively student city located in the heart of the Netherlands. It is considered the ‘gateway to Europe’. An inspiring city which nurtures talent and creativity.
- Biomedical Sciences
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 2 years
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2023-2024: € 2,314
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2023-2024: € 21,736
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO and VvE (Dutch): Vereniging voor Epidemiology