Experience from the professional field
Our Master's programme in Applied Musicology was designed in direct dialogue with top institutions within the musical infrastructure in the Netherlands and beyond; it does not discriminate between classical and popular music. The curriculum builds on knowledge and skills gained through a Bachelor's in Musicology, with emphasis on both historical musicology and the relation of music with other media.
As a student, you will receive intensive mentoring while developing research and reflective skills relevant to questions in contemporary music production, programming, financing and participation. You will acquire additional relevant skills (for example journalistic writing skills) through classroom labs as well as coaching by professors and professionals in the field. Read more about career developement.
- You will possess thorough knowledge of the field of musicology and you have an understanding of the latest developments in international discourse on musicology.
- You will be trained in relevant skills by professionals in the field which you can implement in your future professional career.
- You have developed research and reflective skills and how to apply these in your day-to-day life.
- You have acquired sophisticated knowledge in your own special interest whether within the field of musicology, and/or an interdisciplinary subject.
- You will have experience in the professional field learned by a traineeship.
This Master's programme prepares you for the cultural professional field. You will have developed skills which are required in your future career. It gives you opportunities in both the cultural field and in careers that require an expertise in the field of applied musicology. Read more about possible career prospects.
Applied Musicology is a selective Master’s programme. Check the entry requirements to learn if you are eligible for this programme.