Teaching in Higher Education in an International Classroom (THEIC)
This course is unique in the sense that it offers the didactic teaching qualification course with a focus on teaching in the international classroom. The course is equivalent to the official teaching qualification course for teachers at universities of applied sciences, in Dutch: Basiskwalificatie Didactische Bekwaamheid, BDB.
This course gave me a stronger understanding of who I am as a teacher, and how to best teach in an international classroom.
- Suitable for:
- Dutch and international teachers at Universities of Applied Sciences (in Dutch: HBO) who teach in an international classroom
- Start date(s):
- This course has not been scheduled yet
- Time investment:
- 284 hours (including meetings, self-study and assignments)
- Utrecht Science Park
- Onderwijsadvies & Training
- € 3999,- (portfolio assessment included)
- Extra information:
Received certificate: Teaching Qualification in Higher Education (TQHE-IC, in Dutch: BDB)
This course is an excellent preparation for life as a teacher and education professional.
The course meetings are planned around themes that are relevant for teaching, course design and assessment. Themes for teaching include teacher-class interaction in lectures, tutorials, practicals and in supervising students, with a focus on teaching and learning in an international context.
Related to course design we will focus on formulating learning objectives, designing effective learning activities and assignments whilst taking into account the cultural factors that play a role in an international learning environment.
Lastly, for the theme assessment and grading, aspects such as different grading systems and different assessment practices are addressed and the role of feedback is discussed.
There are seven course days focusing on the following topics:
- Session 1: Making the connection (introduction/intercultural competencies)
- Session 2: Attention please (lectures and activating students)
- Session 3: Designing engaging lessons (alignment)
- Session 4: Coaching and guiding students (supervision)
- Session 5: Motivation and feedback (tutorials)
- Session 6: Video feedback and Feedback on course design
- Session 7: Assessment and grading
I am more aware of the impact of cultural differences in education and communication, so I can respectfully adapt my attitude where and when needed, to bridge the gap.
After you have successfully finished this programme, you will be able to:
- Analyse and improve your own teaching behaviour systematically in an international classroom, especially how you influence effective learning of your students who are often non-native speakers of English
- Methodically design or revise the courses you teach, in which you apply the principles of active learning on defining learning objectives, designing learning activities and assessing students and adept this to an international context
- Systematically reflect on your knowledge, skills and attitudes and hence guide your professional development and cultural sensitivity as a teacher.
Participants receive a Teaching Qualification in Higher Education (TQHE-IC, in Dutch: BDB) when all sessions have been attended and the portfolio shows that the applicant masters all necessary competencies for obtaining the Teaching Qualification in Higher Education in an International Classroom.
The course can be combined with the course Teaching Qualification Assessment and Examination in an International Classroom (TQA-IC) to acquire a qualification in assessment and examination in Universities of Applied Sciences (in Dutch: BasisKwalificatie Examinering - BKE).
As a teacher we often master the content, but don't always know how to get this across effectively. This is where the course has been most useful to me.
Do you have any questions? Please contact us via:
+31 30 253 2261
About Educational Development & Training
Educational Development & Training translates academic insights into the daily practice of teaching. As a teaching professional you can come to us throughout the course of your career for training, advice and solutions tailored to your specific teaching-related needs. Visit our website.
Payment and cancelation terms and conditions
Terms and conditions of payment and cancelation apply to all services provided by Educational Development & Training.