Tenure track Academic Teacher evolutionary biology (1.0 FTE)
- Hoogleraar, uhd, ud & lector
- Uren per week:
- 38 tot 40
- Faculteit of dienst:
- Faculteit Bètawetenschappen
- Department of Biology
- Uiterlijk reageren op:
We are looking for a motivated Academic Teacher who will teach and coordinate evolutionary biology courses at all levels of the Bachelor's programme Biology at the ambitious and inclusive Department of Biology at Utrecht University. Moreover, you will teach evolutionary biology in the Biomedical Sciences programme as well as in the Liberal Arts and Sciences Bachelor's of University College Utrecht. You will also be involved in other teaching activities such as tutoring and supervising Bachelor's research projects and theses. Apart from the teaching activities (80%), you will execute research in evolution biology and/or teaching innovation (20%). Other responsibilities include participation in committees of the department or faculty.
- a PhD in Biology or a related field;
- demonstrable affinity with teaching. Experience with education innovation is a plus;
- demonstrable knowledge of evolutionary biology;
- fluent in Dutch and English writing and speaking. If deficient, the candidate can demonstrate that he/she will be able to communicate in both languages within one year;
- the candidate is enthusiastic, highly motivated and a teamplayer with a critical and creative mind, and the candidate is organized and efficient;
- holding a Basic or Senior Teaching Qualification is a plus. If deficient, the candidate has to obtain a Basic Teaching Qualification within 2.5 years.
- a full-time tenure track teaching position for five years that will be subject to a mid-term evaluation after approximately 2.5 years and an end-term evaluation. If the end-term evaluation is positive, the position becomes permanent;
- a full-time gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranging between €3,746 and €5,127 per month (scale 11 at the level of Assistant Professor/universitair docent; UD) according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao);
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of additional arrangements. These include agreements on professional development, leave arrangements, and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. With this, we encourage you to continue to develop as a person and professional.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
Over de organisatie
The Department of Biology consists of the Teaching Institute and 12 research groups with 290 employees. The research groups are organized in the Institute of Environmental Biology (IEB) and the Institute for Biodynamics and Biocomplexity (IBB). The Department of Biology is responsible for the Bachelor's programme Biology in which more than 300 students enroll annually. We are training more than 30% of all biology students in the Netherlands. Additionally, the Biology staff teaches in the Utrecht Biomedical Sciences’ Bachelor's and the Liberal Arts and Sciences Bachelor's of the University College Utrecht. Moreover, Biology is a pillar discipline of the new international interdisciplinary Bachelor's programme Molecular and Biophysical Life Sciences that will start coming September. Next to Bachelor's education, our Biology staff educates students in several Master's programmes.
The Teaching Institute of Biology is responsible for the curriculum and staffing of the Bachelor's programme Biology and its operational management. Furthermore, the institute is active in researching and implementing teaching innovations and is in close contact with the staff of the research groups that are responsible for the content of the courses of the Biology Bachelors.
At the Faculty of Science, we have 6 departments to make a fundamental connection with: Biology, Chemistry, Information and Computing Sciences, Mathematics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Physics. Each of these is made up of distinct institutes that work together to focus on answering some of humanity’s most pressing challenges. Even more fundamental are the individual research groups – the building blocks of our ambitious scientific projects and our exciting education.
Utrecht University plays a prominent role in our society and has great ambitions for its teaching quality. We educate students to make important contributions to our search for answers to today’s and tomorrow’s societal challenges. This also applies to its clear research profiles which are centered around four themes: Pathways to Sustainability, Life Sciences, Dynamics of Youth, and Institutions for Open Societies.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. If you have the expertise and the experience to excel in this role, please respond via the “Apply now” button below, enclosing:
- your letter of motivation in which you clearly outline why this position interests you;
- your teaching vision and how you envision the embedding of your teaching in the Biology Bachelor's programme;
- your curriculum vitae;
- the names, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least two references;
- a copy of your PhD certificate.
If this specific opportunity is not what you are looking for, but you know someone who may be interested, please forward this vacancy to them.
Please note: Due to the current situation regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) the process of selection and interviews is subject to change. Initial interviews will most likely be conducted online.
Some connections are fundamental – Be one of them
Uiterlijk reageren op 3 maart 2021.