Chair (Full Professor) in Gender Studies (1.0 FTE)
- Uren per week:
- 38 tot 40
- Faculteit of dienst:
- Faculteit Geesteswetenschappen
- departement Media- en Cultuurwetenschappen
- Uiterlijk reageren op:
The Faculty of Humanities is looking for a new chair in Gender Studies with a strong, recognised international reputation, whose outstanding qualifications in research and teaching are reflected in an interdisciplinary vision of the field. The chair can articulate an inspired ambition for the development of research, teaching, and public engagement from a humanities perspective of feminist critical theory in relation to questions of diversity and inclusion for contemporary societal and institutional transformations.
The chair is expected to play a leading role in the further development of Gender Studies education and research in the context of Utrecht University’s interdisciplinary strategic themes (Institutions for Open Societies, Dynamics of Youth, and Pathways to Sustainability). In particular, the chair is willing to play a leading role in Institutions for Open Societies’ Diversity & Inclusion and Inequality platforms. As such, the new chair in Gender Studies contributes to the realisation of the strategic plans at the level of the department, the faculty, and Utrecht University, with respect to teaching, research, as well as public engagement and societal impact.
The candidate we are looking for has a strong publication record, proven abilities to generate external funding, and an extensive international network. The candidate excels in fundamental research in feminist critical theory and political philosophy, with a specific focus on the conceptualisation of cultural transformations. In addition, we are looking for a new colleague who actively contributes to interdisciplinary collaboration and public engagement and who is committed to inspire colleagues in gender studies, as well as in other fields within the department, faculty, and beyond.
The new chair will be positioned in the Department of Media and Culture Studies (MCW). Our department is committed to supporting our staff with a variety of backgrounds, skills, and views, and to foster various forms of interdisciplinary collaboration. In our department, a wide range of media as well as cultural and artistic expressions are studied, also in their intermedial relations. In addition to gender studies and postcolonial studies, we also provide education and research in the fields of screen media, new media & digital culture, critical data studies, game studies, communication & information studies, performance studies, musicology, and of arts & society. We interpret culture as a dynamic combination of everyday, artistic, creative activities that people use to shape their identities, and within which social processes, structures and institutions are shaped.
We welcome colleagues who can further strengthen the diversity of perspectives and backgrounds in our department.
The successful candidate:
- is an experienced and internationally respected senior researcher in the field of gender studies from a humanities perspective, as demonstrated by a completed PhD and an extensive list of peer-reviewed scholarly output in leading academic journals and distinguished book publications;
- has demonstrated the capacity to design an innovative line of research;
- is capable of leading and inspiring a medium-sized and diverse team of researchers and lecturers, in collaboration with other senior staff members;
- has substantial experience in teaching at both undergraduate and graduate level and has extensive experience in developing teaching curricula;
- has experience in supervising PhD candidates in an inspiring and effective way, as well as in leading international and interdisciplinary teams of researchers;
- has an extensive international and national network in academia and beyond, and is able to engage this network in order to develop original and high-impact interdisciplinary research projects;
- has successfully acquired internal and external research grants;
- engages in various forms of outreach activities and public engagement and has the capacity to translate research results into support and advice for non-academic stakeholders and organisations;
- has excellent communication skills and is capable of inspiring a positive team spirit in various contexts;
- has the experience, abilities and motivation to take on managerial responsibilities at the departmental level, and beyond;
- is fluent in English at near-native or native-speaker standard in oral and written communication;
- has a fluency in Dutch at least at the NT2 level, or is willing and able to reach this level within two years after the appointment, facilitated and supported by the department.
This is an appointment for the duration of five years (1.0 FTE). After positive evaluation, this can be turned into a permanent position. The minimum gross salary is €6,099 and the maximum gross salary is €8,881 (scale H2 of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities) per month, at a full-time employment.
Besides that, you will receive a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. Utrecht University also has an appealing package of terms of employment, including the choice for a good balance between work and private (a good arrangement for leave, among other things), possibilities for development and an excellent pension scheme. More information about working at Utrecht University.
Over de organisatie
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 6,000 students and 1,100 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and education in these fields, the Faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city center of Utrecht, where the Faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment.
The Department of Media and Culture Studies at Utrecht University is an internationally renowned teaching and research consortium composed of scholars in various disciplines in gender and postcolonial studies, media studies, performance studies, and musicology, and is dedicated to interdisciplinary research and teaching, and various forms of public engagement.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. You can apply via the 'apply' button.
Applications must include:
- a letter of motivation detailing how the candidate’s experience and competence with regard to research and education relate to the goals and ambitions of the department of MCW;
- a cv including a full list of publications;
- names and contact details of three (academic) referees.
The first round of interviews will be held on 7 October 2022.
Uiterlijk reageren op 5 september 2022.