Assistant Professor in Computer Science Education (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
- Uren per week:
- 30 tot 40
- Faculteit of dienst:
- Faculteit Bètawetenschappen
- Department of Information and Computing Sciences, Software Technology for Learning and Teaching
- Uiterlijk reageren op:
The Department of Information and Computing Sciences (ICS) is nationally and internationally renowned for its fundamental and applied research in computer science and information science. In our constantly changing (digital) society, we are continually looking for new, realistic ways to push the boundaries of both science and societal applications. We contribute to innovative information technologies through the development and application of new concepts, theories, algorithms, and software methods. With our expertise, we nourish a wide range of interdisciplinary and societal collaboration initiatives. Due to our successful educational programmes and our ambitions in research, we are searching for an Assistant Professor in Computing Education Research.
As an assistant professor, you will actively engage in research, teaching and supervision in the field of Information and Computing Sciences. In this position your special focus will be on Computing Education research, which studies how people learn and teach computing related subjects. Your research focusses on methods, formalisms, tools, or languages that support students’ learning in Computer Science and related fields. To develop new research collaborations and application areas, you will actively seek internal and external (interdisciplinary) collaborations and acquire funding for research.
Our Department provides a dynamic work environment. Our approach is characterized by a connected, open, and can-do spirit that stimulates personal initiative and curiosity. You will be encouraged to take ownership and create value while sharing your knowledge both internally and across the wider (global) community. Every day we aim to live up to this mission because we believe it is the only way to make the breakthroughs that will help solve the challenges facing the world.
If you are excited to actively participate and collaborate in shaping our department, we invite you to apply.
We are looking for a new colleague to complement our team at an academic as well as at a personal level. You are a team player with a proven commitment and talent for research. You fit well with the position’s profile as described above and meet the following qualifications:
- a PhD in Computer Science, Information Science or another relevant discipline;
- publications with impact in international conferences and journals;
- experience with, or good prospects for, acquiring external research funds;
- a vision on future research directions in your own area of expertise;
- experience with, or readiness to, supervise PhD projects;
- experience with and enthusiasm for teaching and student supervision (BSc and MSc level);
- experience with using and enthusiasm to use innovative teaching methods and (e-learning) technologies;
- proficient in English, both written and spoken.
- An appointment as assistant professor, starting with a fixed term contract. Following a positive evaluation after 18 months, this will be converted in a permanent contract;
- a gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranging between €3,974 and €6,181 per month for full-time employment (scales 11-12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) Dutch Universities);
- benefits including an 8% holiday bonus and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, collective insurance schemes, and partially paid parental leave based on the CAO Dutch Universities;
- special perks include a PhD candidate position funded by the Department in order to further build up your research, support for traveling to conferences, the possibility to develop towards acquiring a Basic Teaching Qualification, and various educational and development programmes offered by our University.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has several own arrangements. There are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements, and sports. To encourage and support your growth, we also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. For international employees the University offers help with finding housing, child care and schools, as well as a partner programme and Dutch language courses. For more information, please visit working at Utrecht University.
Over de organisatie
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major strategic themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
At the Faculty of Science there are 6 departments to make a fundamental connection with: Biology, Chemistry, Information and Computing Sciences, Mathematics, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Physics. Each of these is made up of distinct institutes that work together to focus on answering some of humanity’s most pressing problems. More fundamental still are the individual research groups – the building blocks of our ambitious scientific projects.
The Department of Information and Computing Sciences is nationally and internationally known for its research in computer science and information science. The Department provides and contributes to the undergraduate programs in Computer Science, Information Science, and Artificial Intelligence and a number of research master's programs in these fields. It employs over 200 people across four divisions: Interaction, Algorithms, Data Science & Artificial Intelligence, and Software. The atmosphere is collegial and informal.
You will be embedded in the Software division. In the division we explore many aspects of software: software technology for teaching and learning, software technology in general, software production, and business process management and analytics.
Utrecht is an attractive city located in the Netherlands, one of the world’s most open and connected countries. Utrecht University reflects this philosophy by offering a flexible work/life balance that prioritizes your well-being within an understanding, supportive, and family friendly environment.
If you have any questions that you’d like us to answer, please contact Prof. Johan Jeuring via email@example.com.
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives and we attach great importance to diversity and gender balance.
If you are enthusiastic about this position, just apply via the "Apply now" button! Please enclose:
- a cover letter in which you address your four best accomplishments;
- a full academic curriculum vitae, including a list of publications;
- a research vision (max two pages) and teaching vison (max two pages);
- a list of 3 references (name, position, institute and contact details).
If this specific opportunity is not for you, but you know someone else who may be interested, please forward this vacancy to them.
Uiterlijk reageren op 14 april 2023.