Assistant Professor in Ancient History and Classical Civilization (1.0 FTE)
- Uren per week:
- 38 tot 40
- Faculteit of dienst:
- Faculteit Geesteswetenschappen
- Departement Geschiedenis en Kunstgeschiedenis
- Uiterlijk reageren op:
The section Ancient History within the Department of History and Art History seeks to appoint a full-time Assistant Professor (Universitair Docent) in Ancient History and Classical Civilization, with expertise in the study of early Islam, including the ancient and late antique sources that bear on the rise of Islam. We are particularly interested in someone specializing in how early Islam impacted the transformation of the ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern worlds. We are looking for someone who will study this phenomenon through the prism of the topics that unite our group, namely cultural interaction, (religious) identity-formation, empire studies, and migration. Experience with a Digital Humanities approach to these topics is a pro. We expect the successful candidate to fully participate in our teaching program that focusses on the study of the ancient world.
The successful candidate will have;
- a PhD degree in ancient history or a related discipline;
- the ability to play a role in departmental management and to contribute fully to the academic life of the department;
- a supportive attitude towards colleagues, with an open mind towards creative forms of exchange and cooperation, contributing to the academic life of the department;
- teaching and research expertise in Ancient History and Culture;
- an excellent publication record as evidenced by publications;
- demonstrable success in raising funds and a plan for raising such funds for future research;
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills and is a team player;
- some managerial experience as evidenced by previous collaborations and projects;
- an open attitude and is able to switch easily within multidisciplinary and interprofessional teams;
- interest in team teaching and developing teaching and research programmes to address social issues;
- interest in helping foster a culture in which the principles of diversity and inclusion are respected;
Utrecht University has a teaching qualification system for university lecturers, and candidates are required to obtain the Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) within two years if they are not already in possession of one.
Candidates are expected to be proficient in both Dutch and English; non-Dutch candidates will need to master the Dutch language on an academic level within two years.
We offer a full-time position as assistant professor of 1.0 FTE, of which the allocation is permanently set to 40% research and 60% teaching. Within the 60 percent for teaching, there is a deduction of 10 percent (the so called "Strooitijd") which will not be scheduled. This is meant to be used for section meetings, etc. The start date is 1 August 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
We offer a temporary position in an international working environment. After positive evaluation, this can be turned into a permanent position. The gross salary - depending on education and experience - ranges between € 3974 and € 6181 (scale 11 – 12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
Utrecht University also has an appealing package of terms of employment, including choices for a good work-life balance (including good leave arrangements for study, care leave or parental leave), development opportunities, collective insurances and an excellent pension scheme.
Utrecht University works with the TRIPLE model; this makes it possible to recognize and value multi-, inter- and transdisciplinary teaching and research. The model also embraces job diversification and dynamic career paths: there is room to develop your own strengths and look at how you complement and strengthen the team as a whole.
Within the UU, we find it important that employees continue to develop within their own position or towards the next. We offer coaching and a variety of training opportunities.
Over de organisatie
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major strategic themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 7,000 students and 1,100 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and education in these fields, the Faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city centre of Utrecht, where the Faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment.
For more information about this position, please contact:
Prof. Leonard V. Rutgers (Chair Ancient History and Classical Civilization), via email@example.com.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
If you recognize yourself in this profile, we would like to invite you to apply. Please send us your application details via the 'apply' button. Your application details consist of:
- The letter of motivation (max. 2 A4) should at least contain a concise reflection on the candidate's general teaching objectives and methods, as well as a short outline of the candidate's research plans for the coming years.
Initial interviews may be conducted over Teams. Interviews are scheduled to take place around the first week of May 2023.
Uiterlijk reageren op 17 april 2023.