Interested in studying Toxicology and Environmental Health?
Become an expert in health risk assessment
We come into contact with a vast number of chemical, biological, and physical agents that could do us harm. These agents are present in the air we breathe, the water we drink, and even the food we eat. We encounter them when we travel, when we work or when we use consumer goods such as cosmetics or electrical equipment. Determining the source of these risks, and quantifying their effects, requires collaboration by experts across a host of different disciplines.
Toxicology and Environmental Health trains you to become an expert in the fundamentals of toxicology, environmental epidemiology and exposure assessment. Learn to assess the risks present in everyday life. Gain the knowledge and skills needed to identify chemical, biological, and physical hazards, as well as the risks associated with exposure to these agents.
Compose your own Master’s programme
The multidisciplinary nature of our programme means that you will have the possibility to specialise in a particular field or undertake more generalist training in risk assessment. Decide to take part in experimental laboratory research within various fields of toxicology such as neurotoxicology, immunotoxicology or endocrinel toxicology. Interested in undertaking practical field work? Select an environmental or occupational exposure assessment and engage in activities such as collection and in-depth analysis of samples taken from a variety of sources or exposure modelling .
Why you should study Toxicology and Environmental Health at Utrecht University
- Gain the knowledge to perform a multidisciplinary risk assessment by making use of toxicological and epidemiological data.
- Learn to understand the biological, chemical, and physical environmental health hazards, both indoors and outdoors, as well as their potential impact on human health.
- It provides the freedom to define your own Master’s programme. Choose your own internships and electives in any subject.
- Follow your Master’s programme at UMC Utrecht, one of the largest academic medical centers in the Netherlands with state-of-the-art facilities.
- Degree: This Master's programme is officially registered under its name in the Central Register of Higher Education Study Programmes
- Title: MSc
- Master's degree in: Biomedical Sciences
- Programme: Toxicology and Environmental Health
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Croho code:
- Language of instruction:
- Part- or full-time status:
- 2 years
- Credits: 60 credits equals one year full-time study load (European Credit Transfer System, ECTS)
- Start of studies:
- Application deadline:
- September: Dutch & EU/EER students: 1 June
- September: Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April
- Tuition fees:
- Graduate school:
- Life Sciences