The world needs people with comprehensive knowledge of environmental challenges. In this Master's programme you will become familiar with analytical and practical research skills, as well as strategies for intervention. This combination prepares you for a PhD programme or an academic-level position at consultancies, at research institutes, in government, in business or at NGOs. Our graduates work as first-class researchers in the field of sustainable development in academic and professional organisations.
Facts and figures
Career prospects are excellent: 90 percent of our graduates are in paid positions at an academic level. Students that graduated from this programme have, for example, found jobs in one of the following places:
Trade and industry
- Shell Business customers
- Triodos Bank
- Akzo Nobel
- United Nations Environmental Programme
- Bureau for Traffic Enforcement of the Public Prosecution Service
- Rijnmond Environmental Service
- Transport and Water Management Inspectorate
- Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management
- Directorate-General for Public Works and Water Management
- District water boards
- Provincial government
Education and research
- National Institute for Public Health and the Environment
- Energy research Centre of the Netherlands
- Secondary education
- World Wildlife Fund
- North Sea Foundation
- The Netherlands Society for Nature and Environment
- Friends of the Earth Netherlands
- Dutch Nature Conservation Association
- Oxfam Novib
91 % of all Utrecht graduates in the environmental sciences have found paid employment.
We regularly conduct labour market surveys among our environmental science graduates. These surveys reflect that the employment opportunities for Sustainable Development graduates are excellent. Check the facts below.
Excellent career prospects
- 91 % have a paid job (only 3% are looking for employment)
- 90 % have a job at academic level
- 78 % work in an environment-oriented organisation
Types of jobs
Career prospects are broad, and include positions such as consultant, project manager, policy maker, researcher, entrepreneur.