If you want to delve deeply into the foundational texts and practices of Islam and learn how to interpret them by applying up-to-date research approaches, Utrecht University is the place for you.
The programme has a duration of two years. Each year is divided into two semesters, which run from September to January and from February to June. A semester is divided into two study periods.
- Compulsory courses familiarise you with important theories and methods.
- Academic specialisation: focusing on your interests you will choose from electives and tutorials.
- The first semester will be devoted to your stay at a university abroad, to a research internship, or to electives/tutorials.
- Master’s thesis: during two study periods in the second year, you will complete your studies with a thesis. In this text, you will contribute your own independent research to a debate in the field of religious studies. To help prepare your thesis, you will also participate in a Thesis Lab.
- group work
- independent study
- research internship (optional)
- research papers
- written assignments
- oral presentations
- Master’s thesis