Graduates of this Master’s programme await a large and expanding professional field:
• Media industries: graduates enter careers in media, information, communication, and cultural industries as advisor, producer, developer, interface/software architect, festival organizer, presenter, designers engineer, etc.
• Governmental institutions: graduates fill advisory positions in governmental institutions and shape policies that make a difference in how our society gives its citizens the (digital) opportunities to act and have influence. The political ramifications of new media are often hidden in hardware and algorithms, but our students will know how to bring them out in the open and make them subject of critical reflection
• Educational and cultural institutions: graduates are well prepared to transfer knowledge and skills in ways that connect with the expectations of many types of audiences in educational and cultural settings. Think of schools and universities, or public organizations that help advocate new media literacies
Around 80% of our graduates find a job within six months after graduation, mostly via the networks created during the research internship phase of the programme.
Some examples of careers of our alumni:
- Lindsy Szilvasi works as a Legal Assistant Trademarks at Google.
- Ward Geene is a Game Journalist /and Editor in Chief at IGN Benelux.
Other alumni found jobs as:
- Designer and Advisor at SETUP, Utrecht's Digital Media Lab.
- Lecturer and Researcher on new media, culture and society at the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam.
- Marketing & Media Specialist at the Amsterdam Fashion Institute (AMFI).
For a detailed and up-to-date overview of our alumni and their professional careers, have a look at their LinkedIn profiles.
The Master’s programme in New Media and Digital Culture does not specifically train you to become an academic scholar with a PhD degree. Even though some of our graduates have successfully pursued an academic career, we would recommend applying for the two-year Research Master’s programme in Media and Performance Studies if you are specifically interested in obtaining a PhD degree.