Law Economics and Governance International Talent Scholarship (LEG-ITS)
The LEG International Talent Scholarship (LEG-ITS) programme offers a number of highly talented prospective students the opportunity to pursue a degree in one of the English taught Master’s programmes of the Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance.
With this selective scholarship programme the Faculty wants to contribute and invest in talented international students who have shown the highest achievement in their career so far. This can be based on their academic quality and results from preceding education or from student’s societal engagement or career vision. Approximately 15 scholarships are awarded per year.
Criteria for eligibility
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- The academic quality and results of the preceding education, as evidence, for example, by grades, test scores, publications, letters of recommendation;
- The student’s career vision, promise in the proposed field of study;
- The student’s societal engagement (e.g. extracurricular activities)
- The quality and relevance of the motivation letter;
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency)
In order to be awarded this scholarship students should:
- have a non-Dutch nationality;
- hold a non-Dutch secondary education degree;
- have been admitted to one of the English taught Master’s programmes of the Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance;
- be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa if applicable;
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
With the scholarship students will be able to cover the costs of the tuition fee and part of the living expenses.
- for students who will have to pay the statutory tuition fee (mainly EU/EEA student): €5.000
- for students who will have to pay the institutional tuition fee (most non EU/EEA students): €17.500
In a 2-year’s Master’s programme the scholarship will only be renewed for the second year if the student is making satisfactory progress towards the degree.
Students should be aware that the grant is not a full scholarship, and that it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance study and stay completely. Read more about the budget Utrecht University advises.
Deadline and application procedure
Students who wish to be considered for the scholarship have to apply for admission to the programme before 1 February. An application for an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship (UES) will be considered an application for a LEG International Talent Scholarship as well. If you don’t apply for an UES (e.g. because you are a EU/EEA student) you can apply for the LEG-ITS by sending a motivation letter (including contact details and student number) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications arriving after the 1 February deadline will not be considered for a scholarship in the Master’s programme that starts the next academic year.
The Admissions Committee will assess the eligibility to be nominated with the above mentioned criteria for all candidates. Secondly, they will review the application files and will make a selection. Students will be informed about the scholarship after they have been (un)conditionally admitted to the Master’s programme.