If you are considering studying in Utrecht you will need to know what it costs to support yourself. During your stay in Utrecht you can expect to spend between € 800 and € 1,000 a month on living expenses. Tuition fees are not included in this amount.
Costs of Studying and Living
Overview of average living expenses
- Accommodation (furnished, including utilities, individual/ shared, etc.):
350 - 800 euro per month (for more specific rental costs click here)
- Living expenses (food, clothes, personal services, public transport, etc.):
350 - 450 euro per month
- Insurance (health, personal liability, etc.):
40 - 100 euro per month
- Books / study material (depending on the degree programme you choose) :
65 - 85 euro per month
- Visa & permits (depending on your nationality):
0 - 321 euro (once)
- Contingencies (bicycle, higher phone bill, financial setback, etc.):
500 euro (once)
You can convert the Euro in your local currency with the Currency converter.
How can you finance your studies?
The cost of studying and living can be financed by different sources of income:
- Parental contributions
- For parents who pay tax in the Netherlands, the cost of supporting children younger than 30 may be tax deductible (website Tax Office / Belastingdienst)
- Own financial means
- Working part-time alongside your studies
- Grants and scholarships
For EU / EEA-students: