Graduates of the Contemporary Theatre, Dance and Dramaturgy have gone on to work as:
- theatre or dance dramaturge
- theatre or dance critic
- dramaturgy instructor
- public officials for cultural affairs
- employees at training centres for the arts
- director of cultural programmes on radio, television or internet platforms
- curators, organisers and programmers of theatre or dance festivals
- public relations or education employee with theatre or dance companies or performing arts houses
Many of our international students use their knowledge and skills to become a dramaturge, writer, artistic advisor, or organizer of performance events in their homeland, or to start up platforms for the exchange of artistic knowledge.
Curious about the jobs our alumni found? Check out the LinkedIn profiles of Anne-Marije van den Bersselaar and Jeroen van Wijhe:
Other programme alumni have also obtained jobs which required an expertise in theatre studies:
- Ásgerður G. Gunnarsdóttir is the co-artistic director of the Reykjavík Dance Festival in Reykjavík, Iceland.
- Sunayana Mohanty works as a freelance producer.
- Javier López Piñón is a stage director for opera and music theatre.
- Renee Trijselaar works as a programmer at Wereldmuseum Rotterdam.
- Joost Segers is freelance theatre critic and artistic coordinator Spring Academy at SPRING festival.
- Megan Reid is international coordinator at Tweetakt Festival.
- Charlot van der Meer is artistic assistant at Dansmakers Amsterdam and freelance dramaturge.
This MA programme does not directly prepare students for PhD studies, but occasionally, a student begins a PhD project after finishing this programme. If you wish to pursue an academic career, you might be interested in our Master’s programme in Media, Art and Performance Studies.
Facts and figures
A rough inventory of our alumni’s careers indicates that about 20% of our students find a job immediately after graduation; about 50% find a job within a year; and about 75 % within 2 years.
More examples of where students found job positions after graduation:
Dries Verhoeven | Nicole Beutler | ICK Amsterdam | Waag Society | The Hague City Theatre | ArtEZ School of the Arts Arnhem / Master of Choreography | TM/Theaterkrant | Cinedans | Amsterdam Fringe Festival | Grand Theatre Groningen | Theater Kikker Utrecht | Chassé Theater Breda | Spring Performing Arts Festival Utrecht