Admission and Application
- A BSc of a research university in Economics or Economics and Business Economics preferably with some degree of specialisation in Business Development and Entrepreneurship. The International Office assesses all international credentials according to the credential evaluation criteria of the Nuffic (the Netherlands Organisation for international cooperation in Higher Education), and advises the Admissions Committee on this subject; and
- A good command of English. Check the specific English proficiency requirements below;
- You must have solid and demonstrable knowledge in the following fields:
We specifically encourage applications from students with a background in engineering, innovation studies, psychology, sociology and technology provided they have knowledge of the fields listed above.
The Admissions Committee accesses your application and decides whether it believes you have demonstrated enough skills and knowledge to successfully complete the Master’s programme within the nominal duration of 1 year.
The committee takes into account
- The level of the required knowledge and academic skills;
- Mastery of research methods and techniques;
- Your motivation and talent;
- Your command of the English language.
The Admissions Committee bases its assessment and decision on the documents you submit. In some cases we might ask you for extra information such as course description, or invite you to an (Skype) interview.
English language requirements
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. Please note, it is not necessary to have passed the English test at the time of your application. The results can be submitted later. More information. The following requirements apply*/**:
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score: 7.0 overall band, at least 6.0 for all components.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score: 96, at least 23 for writing and 20 for the other sections. Institutional scores are not accepted. Please tell ETS to send your original results report to Utrecht University (the TOEFL institution code for Utrecht University is 9062).
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English:
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 185 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 185 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge Michigan Language Assessment ECPE, C2 Certificate.
*Exceptions: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you obtained your secondary school diploma and/or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa, or you obtained an IB Diploma or EB Diploma (taught in English).
**Chinese students have to take the IELTS or TOEFL test.
Not sure about your eligibility?
Unfortunately we cannot do pre-assessments. Based on the entry requirements stated above you should be able to estimate your eligibility.
For specific questions please contact the Graduate School of Economics by email.
When to apply
This Master’s programme adopts a rolling admissions policy. This means that applications are reviewed and accepted on an ongoing basis beginning October 1 for a September start date. Students are strongly encouraged to apply to Utrecht University as soon as possible to ensure they receive the strongest consideration for admission. The absolute latest date by which we can receive and process your application is June 1.
Complete your application in time
When applying online you are asked to submit a number of forms and documents. Please submit your application with all required documents well before the latest date of application. If your file is incomplete and/or your application fee has not been paid at that time, we will be unable to consider your application.
When can you expect a decision?
You can expect a decision within twenty working days after receiving your complete application, including all required documents and fee (if applicable). In December this may take a little longer because of the Christmas break.
The following steps will help you submit a complete application for this programme:
- Check the entry requirements for this Master’s programme.
- Apply in a timely manner, preferably well before the deadline; see ‘When to apply’.
- Download the Instructions for applying to a Master’s programme.
- Go to Studielink and complete the online application.
- You will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application, where you can upload the required documents. In OSIRIS Online Application you can also check the status of your application.
- Pay the application fee, if applicable.
- For applicants from China only: apply for a Nuffic Certificate.
If you are conditionally accepted, you will be asked to send certified hard copies of your diploma and transcript to the Admissions Office by post.
During the online application process, you will be asked to submit documents that support your application to study at Utrecht University. You will find an overview of these documents below. The underlined forms can be completed on the computer:
Please upload the following documents:
A scan of your diploma (if necessary with official translations) or Proof of anticipated degree
A scan of your transcript (if necessary with official translations)
A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
You can submit your application before taking the English test. Please note that we will need to have received your official results by 1 June if you need a visa; or by 1 September if you do not need a visa.