Embrace data-intensive science and revolutionise health care
The general aim of this Postgraduate Applied Data Science Master’s programme is to prepare you to apply current and upcoming data science methods and techniques within the health domain on an academic level. To this end you will be trained in doing the full cycle of knowledge discovery research, both by following relevant courses and by doing a research project.
Is Applied Data Science the right choice for you?
You should have a strong interest in the application of data science in the field of health and have an affinity for performing application-oriented research.
What you’ll learn
Our course content will instruct you to:
- Apply state-of-the-art scientific concepts and techniques in data analytics
- Prepare and organize data analytics projects in the domain of health
- Perform data analyses for innovation in the domain of health
Why study Applied Data Science postgraduate at Utrecht University?
We highlight four reasons to join our programme. First, this is the first postgraduate Master’s programme in the Netherlands that does not focus on business analytics, but on the application of data science in the field of health, a fast growing area in which data are quickly becoming increasingly more important. Second, its multidisciplinary character connects Statistics and Informatics perspectives onto Applied Data Science on par. Third, the embedding in the new Utrecht University focus area Applied Data Science provides for an active data science community in which students, researchers, and data scientists from a range of companies will regularly meet and cooperate. Fourth, it directly leverages the top research in the Faculty of Science, the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences and the Faculty of Medicine.
You have an obvious interest in data science and are eager to apply this science within the health domain. We strive for a student population of diverse backgrounds to stimulate the multidisciplinary character of the programme. Excellent command of the English language is a prerequisite for all students and will be assessed by TOEFL/IELTS for foreign students. Obviously, data management and programming skills are preferred.
- Master of Science degree (MSc) in Biomedical Sciences, Medicine, Clinical Health Sciences, Biological Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Business Informatics, Computing Science, Game and Media Technology, Innovation Sciences, Science and Business Management, Sociology and Social Research (Utrecht University) or comparable at other universities.
- Master of Applied Sciences degree (MAS) provided that the major relates to medicine, biology, data science, business informatics or comparable.
Provided that the additional entry criteria are met:
- You have general knowledge about health and diseases, and overview knowledge of the most relevant historical and recent development in the biomedical sciences. If you have insufficient knowledge in this area, you will have to choose (in consultation with the Programme Coordinator) specific electives (to an extent of at least 7.5 EC) in the field of Biomedical Science or Epidemiology.
- You have sufficient knowledge of statistics, comparable to the level acquired during the Biomedical Sciences Bachelor’s course “Statistics and Epidemiology”. If you have insufficient knowledge of statistics, you will be admitted under the condition that you complete an additional course before starting the Master’s degree.
- You must be familiar with working with data, as in designing or building databases, data management or doing data analytics. If you have insufficient experience or skills in this area, you will be admitted under the condition that you complete an additional course or project before starting the Master’s degree.
- You must have relevant working experience.
- In all cases the study progress and the results obtained during the Master degree and the kind and amount of working experience are considered.
- You are expected to be able to work independently and to plan properly.
- For foreign students: the criteria for proficiency in English are according to Utrecht University standards.
Career in Applied Data Science Postgraduate
There is a big demand for applied data scientists in all disciplines in society where data is being used for research, decision-making or customer interaction. Data Scientist is even often being refered to as ‘the sexiest job of the 21st century’. The Master’s Applied Data Science prepares you for a role as:
- Data scientist
- Data analyst
- Data architect
- Data engineer
- Data manager
- Information specialist
- Degree: This Master's programme is officially registered under its name in the Central Register of Higher Education Study Programmes
- Title: MSc
- Master's degree in: Biomedical sciences
- Programme: Applied Data Science Postgraduate
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Croho code:
- Language of instruction:
- Part- or full-time status:
- 1,5 year
- Credits: 60 credits equals one year full-time study load (European Credit Transfer System, ECTS)
- Start of studies:
- Tuition fees:
- Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee 2017-18): € 18,201more information and exceptions
- Graduate school:
- Life Sciences