You need a library card to be able to borrow library material from Utrecht University Library. Below you will find information about obtaining this card.
Applying for a library card
You may apply for a library card at all locations of Utrecht University Library. Please bring a valid proof of identity and address.
A library card is free of charge for:
- Staff and students of Utrecht University, UMC Utrecht, and of other institutions affiliated with Dutch universities
- Students and staff of all other Dutch universities (students on presentation of their student card and proof of enrolment), the Hogeschool Utrecht (HU) and Utrecht School of the Arts (HKU), Marnix Academy, Humanistisch Vormingsonderwijs (HVO) (Humanistic Socio-Cultural Education) en Hoger Onderwijs voor Ouderen (HOVO) (Higher Education for Older People)
- Staff of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek (National Library of the Netherlands), the Royal Dutch Academy of Science (KNAW) and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- Secondary school pupils and students of ROC’s from the province of Utrecht, Utrecht University alumni in possession of an alumni card and persons possessing an U-pas
All other library users have to pay an annual fee of € 50 for a Utrecht University Library card.
Renewing your library card
The validity of the registration of Utrecht University students is automatically taken care of each academic year. Cards of Utrecht University staff expire after three years. The cards of other borrowers expire after one year.
Please renew your card at the service desks of any University Library location.
- Utrecht University staff on presentation of a valid proof of identity and address
- Students of other Dutch universities and of the Hogeschool on presentation of their student cards of the current academic year and a valid proof of identity and address
- Alumni on presentation of their alumni card of the current calendar year and a valid proof of identity and address
- Other groups with a free library card on presentation of a valid proof of identity and address
Persons who have to pay an annual fee for their library cards will receive a reminder some time before their cards expires, but can also choose to renew their cards at the service desks. When renewing your card at the service desk you must show proof of identity and address.