You need a library card when you want to borrow library material from Utrecht University Library. If you only want to consult material in the library, you can apply for a free reading room card.
Applying for a library card
Utrecht University students are automatically registered as library users. They can use the library card in the MyUU-app or by applying for a card at one of the service desks.
Registering is free of charge for:
- Staff and students of Utrecht University, UMC Utrecht, of other Dutch universities and of other institutions affiliated with Dutch universities (PDF in Dutch only); (not UU students on presentation of their student card and proof of enrolment)
- Students and staff of the Hogeschool Utrecht (HU) and Utrecht School of the Arts (HKU), Marnix Academy, Humanistisch Vormingsonderwijs (HVO) (Humanistic Socio-Cultural Education) en Hoger Onderwijs voor Ouderen (HOVO) (Higher Education for Older People)
- Staff of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek (National Library of the Netherlands), the Royal Dutch Academy of Science (KNAW) and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- Secondary school pupils and students of ROC’s of schools situated in the province of Utrecht (on presentation of their school/student card)
- Utrecht University alumni in possession of an alumni card
- persons in possession of an U-pas
All other library users have to register at an annual fee of € 50 to obtain a Utrecht University Library card.
Period of validity and renewal
- The validity period of the library cards of Utrecht University students is automatically renewed each academic year.
- Membership of Utrecht University staff expires after three years.
- Membership of other borrowers expires after one year.
Please renew your card at the service desk of any University Library location.
- Utrecht University staff on presentation of a valid proof of identity
- Students of Hogeschool Utrecht and students of all Dutch universities on presentation of their student cards of the current academic year and a valid proof of identity
- Alumni on presentation of their alumni card of the current calendar year and a valid proof of identity
- Other groups with a free library card on presentation of a valid proof of identity
Renewing paid membership
Persons who have to pay an annual library fee will receive a reminder by email or letter some time before the period of validity of their cards expires, wint instructions about how to pay the €50 to renew your membership. On presentation of a valid proof of idenity you can also pay the library fee at the service desk.