You will find literature on the following subjects: theory of communication studies, methods and techniques of communication studies, verbal and nonverbal communication, mass communication and mass media.
How to search the collection?
See for an overview the classification scheme.
Books and journals
In the list of search engines for Communication Sciences you will find, for instance, dictionaries, bibliographies, encyclopaedias, text collections.
Some examples of other interesting search engines:
- The International Encyclopedia of Communication Online - an extensive encyclopedia with many references
- Beeld en Geluid in Academia - online access to thousands of hours of streaming media for higher education in the Netherlands
- UBICC, Utrecht Bibliography for Inter Cultural Communication which contains some 5,000 titles of scholarly publications, many of which with annotations. Accessible through RefWorks. Contact: Jan ten Thije - firstname.lastname@example.org
Other collections relevant to the interdisciplinary field of the Communication Sciences:
- Linguistics (grammar, sociolinguistics (e.g. conversation analysis), pragmatics and textual analysis.
- Dutch Language and Literature (mastering the Dutch language, section 18.10 42)
- English Language and Literature
- Theatre, Film and Television studies (film, TV, new media in sections 24.30 to 24.39).
DVDs and games
As a complement to the book collection for Theater, Film and Television, the Audiovisual Collection contains DVDs (feature movies, documentaries, television series) and games. You can browse the content in the catalogue.
Tips, theory and training
For tips, theory and training regarding searching and using scholarly information, please check our LibGuides.
Where to find he collection?
The collection of printed books for Communications Sciences (indicated as 'COM') is located on the 1ste floor in part C of the University Library City Centre.
The Audiovisual Collection (DVDs and games) can be found in the basement.
Other relevant collections in the University Library City Centre are: Linguistics, Dutch, English, Theater Film and TV. Other relevant collections in the University Library Uithof are: Communication and Publishing.
Please submit this form if you have any purchase suggestions.
Who is responsible for the collection?
- Collection Communication Sciences: Jan de Boer