27 January, 2021: Reflections on 'implementation'.
Paul 't Hart presented an online keynote for an executive session of the Netwerk van Publieke Dienstverleners (Network of Public Service Providers). View the keynote (pdf).
25 January, 2021: Walk on the Bright Side: What Might We Learn from Research into Successful Public Governance.
Paul 't Hart gave a lecture for the lunch seminar of the Environmental Governance research group of the Copernicus Institute. View the keynote (pdf).
5 November, 2020: Publication of the Guardians of Public Value Book.
The Guardians of Public Value: How Public Organisations Become and Remain Institution edited by Arjen Boin, Paul 't Hart and Lauren Fahy is published. This open access book presents case studies of twelve organisations which the public have come to view as institutions.
4 August 2020: Launch of the Collaborative Governance Case Database.
The collaborative governance case database provides a free common pool resource for researchers to share high quality case studies, enabling them to share, collect, and analyse larger numbers of case studies. Read more about the database on the Collaborative Governance Case Database website.
1-2 December, 2017: GDN III – Round II Conference
Mallory Compton presented a paper titled “Dynamic Transformational Mechanisms in Policy Success and Failure” (pdf) to the GDN III – Round II Conference: Policy Design and Mechanisms: Why a better understanding of causal mechanisms can improve policy design, December 1-2, in Florence, Italy at the Scuola Normale Superiore, Palazzo Strozzi. View the keynote (pdf)
21 November, 2017: European Public Sector Awards 2017 Conference
Paul 't Hart, leader of the Successful Public Governance programme, offered 'Reflections from a Juror' at the European Public Sector Awards 2017 Conference, at the European Institute of Public Administration, Maastricht.
November 20, 2017: Zoektocht Naar het Handwerk van de Overheidsmanager
Paul 't Hart, leader of the Successful Public Governance programme, presented at the Concluding Event of the 'Zoektocht Naar het Handwerk van de Overheidsmanager' (Quest for the Craft of the Public Manager), at Sociëteit De Witte, The Hague. His presentation is about 'Vijf Jaar Zoeken naar 'Ambtelijk Vakmanschap: En Nu?' (pdf) (Five Years of Searching for the Public Servant's Craft: And Now?).
November 9, 2017: NIG Annual Work Conference 2017
On 9 November, Dr. Lieske van der Torre (Utrecht University), Dr. Scott Douglas (Utrecht University) and Dr. Bert George (Erasmus University Rotterdam) chaired the second panel of the NIG Annual Work Conference 2017 on the topic of Understanding Successful Public Governance.
Presentations: Hoe word ik overheidsorganisatie van het jaar? (pdf) and Understanding Successful Public Governance (pdf).
November 8-9, 2017: International workshop 'Mismatches between reputation and performance' in Antwerp
Stefanie Beyens, Judith van Erp and Koen Verhoest co-organized an international academic workshop on mismatches between reputation and performance in public organizations. The workshop was hosted by the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence ACTORE , the Antwerp Consortium on the Organization of Rulemaking and Multilevel Governance in Europe. This small scale workshop attended by scholars from the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark and Israel, allowed for intensive discussions about mismatches between organizational performance and their reputation. A paper and special issue are in preparation.
November 4, 2017: presentation Waardevol lokaal bestuur
Dr. Lieske van der Torre presented on the topic of Waardenvol lokaal bestuur in een turbulente netwerksamenleving (pdf) in Purmerend on 4 November 2017.
October 24, 2017: SPG-workshop on the Dutch Election of Best Governmental Organisation of the Year
Succesful Public Governance researchers and the VOM (Vereniging voor OverheidsManagement), brought selected participants of the election government organization of the year to reflect on how government organizations achieve success and consolidate. Read more (in Dutch): Workshop Verkiezing Beste Overheidsorganisatie van het Jaar
September 2, 2017: American Political Science Association Annual Conference
Mallory Compton presented a paper ‘Occasional Watchdogs or Coalition Pork? Oversight, Policymaking, and Coalition Bargaining’, coauthored with Christine S. Lipsmeyer, to the American Political Science Association Annual Conference in San Francisco.
October 5, 2017: Annual Conference of the Dutch Association of Mayors
Paul 't Hart spoke in the Annual Conference of the Dutch Association of Mayors (Nederlands Genootschap voor Burgemeesters, NGB) in Lelystad on the topic of Evaluation of the 2012 Police Law and the Formation of the National Police.
July-August 2017: Lecture Tour
Scott Douglas went on an ANZSOG-sponsored lecture tour around Australia and New Zealand in July and August 2017. He presented Successful Public Governance to more than 600 civil servants in different cities.
Key note: In Search of Successful Governance: Lessons from around the world (pdf)
June 28, 2017
Mallory Compton spoke at the Dahrendorf Workshop “Is European Integration happening on the ground?“ hosted by the European Governance Monitor at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin.
June 22, 2017
Mallory Compton presented a paper ‘Occasional Watchdogs or Coalition Pork? Oversight, Policymaking, and Coalition Bargaining’, coauthored with Christine S. Lipsmeyer, to the European Political Science Association Annual Conference in Milan.
13 June 2017
Lieske van der Torre and Scott Douglas ran the Public Value session together with Job Cohen at the annual conference of the Association for Dutch Municipalities in Goes.
At the same conference, Paul ‘t Hart gave the keynote speech Publiek leiderschap in times of deinstitutionalization (pdf).
June 9, 2017
Mallory Compton presented a paper ‘Organizational or Interpersonal Social Capital? Better Performance in Co-Production,’ to the annual Public Management Research Association conference in Washington, DC.
June 8, 2017
Mallory Compton presented a paper ‘Social Capital and the State’ to the Midwest Political Science Association Annual Conference in Chicago, IL.
May 18 2017
Judith van Erp gave a keynote lecture at the UCALL conference ‘Accountability and International Business Operations: Providing Justice for Corporate Violations of Human Rights, Labor and Environmental Standards’ at Utrecht University. Her lecture was entitled ‘Reputation as a Regulatory Instrument: the Potential and Pitfalls of Naming and Shaming Corporations’.
15 May 2017
Paul 't Hart presented Leading for Public Sector Success in the VUCA Age (pdf) in a training session for the Danish national, regional and local civil servants.
May 5 2017
Judith van Erp was invited to give a keynote lecture Regulating Corporate Crime in the Open Society at the conference White-Collar Crime in the 21st Century at the University of Porto, Portugal.
October 24 2017
SPG-workshop Verkiezing Beste Overheidsorganisatie van het Jaar, i.s.m. VOM: Key note link
Nov 09 2017
November 20 2017
Zoektocht Naar het Handwerk van de Overheidsmanager, at Sociëteit De Witte, The Hague: keynote link
December 01, 2017
- Governing during a deep crisis on September 11, 2020
- Political-administrative relations: collaborating in turbulant times on September 09, 2020
- Covid Legacies for managing (and studying) public sector organizations on September 05, 2020
- The Next Stage of COVID-19 on July 25, 2020
- Webinar: Final reflections on Covid-19: Where do we stand, where are we heading? on July 17, 2020
- Webinar Hoe kan een crisis de democratie versterken? on June 29, 2020
- Webinar The dynamics of a crisis on May 27, 2020
- ‘Fase 2' van de c19 coronacrisis: naar maatschappelijke veerkracht door publiek leiderschap on April 22, 2020
- REBO Reflects: Successful governance in and after crises on April 08, 2020
- Webinar Crisis Leadership on March 30, 2020
- Succesverhalen uit overheidsland Over de kunst van het vertellen van nieuwe verhalen on November 27, 2019
- Waardevol lokaal bestuur on November on November 01, 2018
- Towards positive public administration: A manifesto on November 01, 2018
- Learning from policy failure and success on October 08, 2018
- Werken aan publieke waarden on October 01, 2018
- Presentation Expertmeeting Haarlemmermeer on September 19, 2018
- Maatschappelijke meerwaarde bij arbeidsintegratie on April 09, 2018
- Policy and collaborative success on March 06, 2018
- The global collaborative governance case database
- Doorontwikkelen en Verbeteren: Evaluatie Poltiewet 2012 on December 14, 2017
- Waarden-vol lokaal bestuur in een turbulente netwerksamenleving on November 04, 2017
- Publiek leiderschap in times of deinstitutionalization on June 13, 2017
- Leading for Public Sector Success on May 15, 2017
- Good Governance on March 28, 2017
- VNG Ambtelijke Topconferentie on March 22, 2017
- SPG Workshop Keynote Day-3: Studying Successful Governance-Moving forward on 03 Mar. 2017
- Samenwerking Als Bestuurlijke Opgave on February 09, 2017
- Successful Public Governance on February 08, 2016
- De Succesvolle Verandering on January 19, 2017
- Verwachtingen van de Overheid on December 02, 2016
- In Search of Successful Governance on 07 Oct. 2016
- Success in Public Governance presented on April 22, 2015
Follow us on Twitter for more updates on Successful Public Governance: @theSPGprogram.
This project has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (grant agreement No694266).