Tool to create your DMP online
With DMPonline you can write, share and download your data management plan (DMP) online.
The benefits of DMPonline
The DMPonline tool offers templates specifically made for researchers at Utrecht University and UMC Utrecht. These contain example answers and guidance relevant to the Utrecht researchers.
Most research funders also use DMPonline. When you select such a funder you will be offered the template of this funder with some guidance from Utrecht University or UMC Utrecht.
For NWO and ZonMw you may use the Utrecht templates. Only if you are supported by another funder that has not (yet) approved the Utrecht University or UMC Utrecht DMP, then you select the proper funding organisation by typing its name.
Create DMP with Utrecht University or UMC Utrecht template:
- Go to the website of DMPonline.
- Sign in with your institutional credentials.
- Create a new plan and fill in the fields as follows (see figure below):
- Please check the upper box when you are just testing!
- Select ‘Utrecht University’ or ‘UMC Utrecht’ as primary research organisation
- Select ‘No funder’ to get the template for Utrecht University DMP or UMC Utrecht DMP
4. After Creation, check in the Plan overview tab whether you’ve got the right template
5. Then start answering the questions under the Write Plan tab. Please remember that you start with filling in as much as you can, but that you can and need to complete your DMP during your research. Make sure you update the plan for example after 6 months, 12 months etc.
6. When closing the application, you can always go back and, although the new template might have been updated in the meantime, your DMP will be in the template that was available at time of creation of the plan.
7. Share your DMP with fellow researchers or a data supporter. To do that go to the tab Share, fill in the e-mail address of the specific person and give edit rights.
8. Request feedback from the data management staff of RDM Support at Utrecht University by clicking on the ‘request feedback’ button
9. You can download a Word or PDF copy of your DMP and store it in your research folder. In that way everyone in your research team has access to it. At every update, overwrite the copy, so you always have the most updated version in your folder.
10. Notifications are sent by e-mail in a number of cases, among which every time a data manager fills in a comment in your DMP. That might be annoying. You can turn this off by going to your Profile in DMPonline (right upper corner) and adjust the Notifications by removing the first checkmark.
11. For further information, contact RDM Support at Utrecht University or your division data manager at UMC Utrecht.
- Write your plan and keep up-to-date
You can easily update your DMP throughout the lifecycle of a project
- Share plans online
DMPonline allows collaborative access, so you can share your DMP with other researchers, within and outside of Utrecht University.
- Create multiple plans
You can store different DMPs for different projects. And you can make a copy of a previous plan as the basis for writing a new one.
- Download plans
You can download your DMP in a variety of formats.
- For support in filling in your DMP, follow the online training Learn to write your DMP. After each module you are invited to apply your freshly gained knowledge to write or adapt your DMP in DMPonline.
- To get started with DMPonline, watch the screenvideo ‘Getting started with DMPonline’ below.