From post-dramatic theatre to urban screens
Research at Utrecht University in the field of media and performance is conducted from a historical and comparative media perspective. Our projects have a particular focus on the interaction between technologies, media expressions and participants, users or public.
The research group examines various contemporary and historical phenomena within the full scope of media and performance:
- from post-dramatic theatre to early cinema;
- from Dutch film to Hollywood;
- from European television culture to interactive media;
- from multimedia choreographies to mobile media;
- from game consoles to urban screens;
- from art house, popular and counter culture to the creative industry.
We approach these topics through issues surrounding identity, participation, cultural memory and heritage. We pay specific attention to historically situated and location-specific changing processes of cultural communication and the construction of meaning.