As a researcher it can be difficult to find your way around the many and continuously changing (inter)national funding opportunities. How do you acquire the information and advice that is relevant to you and your field of research?
Dynamics of Youth offers researchers different funding opportunities. Funding provided under these opportunities must aim to contribute to one or more of the main result areas of Dynamics of Youth:
- Conducting high-quality interdisciplinary research;
- Building a strong inclusive Dynamics of Youth community;
- Collaborating with others, both inside and outside academia;
- Promoting involvement of junior researchers;
- When possible and appropriate: involving children, adolescents and/or young adults (0-24 years).
Check the Dynamics of Youth funding possibilities:
- The DoY Invigoration Grant facilitates innovative research utilizing data, tools, and methods already available within the DoY community. DoY Invigoration Grants can be requested to revitalize these existing data and other resources.
- DoY Invigoration Grants strongly encourage new, interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Using existing data, tools and methods to examine new research questions is a cost-effective way to add value to previous DoY investments. Enriching data through pooling, matching, or applying new methods and expertise can expand the scope and impact of DoY research.
- At least two applicants from two different UU faculties (including UMC Utrecht);
- Inter- and/or transdisciplinary research team of at least two UU faculties;
- Involvement of young scholars is encouraged (PhD-students, postdocs, UD’s employed less than 5 years);
- Innovative research questions that strengthen scientific research in societal challenges regarding youth (0-24 years);
- Use of existing data, tools, methodologies and/or resources;
- Involvement of societal partners is encouraged *;
- Potential societal and/or economic impact and a dissemination strategy;
- A clear budget**;
*Societal partners cannot benefit from DoY funding. They should provide evidence of their ‘in kind’ and/or ‘in cash’ contribution to the project.
**The funds can be used to free research staff (PhDs and postdocs) for dedicated tasks in the project, use of existing data, impact activities, meetings, acquisition.
- Proposals will be reviewed by the DoY program committee (Catrin Finkenauer, Remco Veltkamp, Tamara van Gog, Manon Benders, Pieter Hooimeijer, Frank Wijnen, Wim Kremer, Wendy Schrama).
- Applications should be submitted via Petra van Dijk, email@example.com.
- Applicants will be notified within two months after the deadline.
- The maximum budget for each proposal is 50.000 euros. We hope to accommodate 3-5 projects in this round, deadline 15 June 2019.
Download the DoY Invigoration Grant application form.
- The aim of the DoY Fellowship program is to provide the opportunity for collaborative research on DoY topics with international colleagues and for establishing lasting cooperation with research institutions across the globe.
- This Fellowship program brings visiting scholars in developmental, child, and adolescent research-related disciplines to Dynamics of Youth for a period of at least one month to conduct research of interest to the DoY research community and / or strengthen an ongoing collaboration of interest to the DoY community.
- Fellows have access to DoY data, tools and methods for use in their proposed studies, and work on collaborative projects with DoY researchers and partners.
- The aim of the Visiting Fellow grants is to facilitate the cooperation between DoY and other researchers, thereby the grant not only aids in strengthening the expertise at the DoY community but also increases the impact and dissemination of DoY research.
- The Visiting Fellow should have complementary expertise that contributes to the Dynamics of Youth research and community.
- Clear added value of the work visit to the main applicant (DoY scholar) and their interdisciplinary team, to one or more thematic DoY hubs, and/or to the larger Dynamics of Youth community;
- Importance of the work visit to the development of new collaborations and exchanges;
- Applicants may be at any stage in their career, from advanced PhD students (must have completed coursework and be at the dissertation phase of their program) to senior investigators;
- CV of the candidate shows the complementarity of expertise;
- Deliverables and activities, including timeline;
- Feasibility of the work plan for the work visit in relation to the period requested;
- Follow-up after the project period;
- A clear budget.*
* Subsistence costs are remunerated (e.g. travel costs, accommodation, consumables (to be declared with receipts); general fees or a per diem will not be covered.
- The maximum budget for each proposal is 15KE, project time is 2019-2021. We expect to be able to accommodate up to 3 visiting fellowships per year during 2019 - 2021.
- Proposals will be reviewed by the DoY program committee (Remco Veltkamp, Tamara van Gog, Manon Benders, Pieter Hooimeijer, Frank Wijnen, Wim Kremer, Wendy Schrama).
- Applications should be submitted no later than three months before the intended starting date of the appointment, via Petra van Dijk, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants will be notified within a month after receipt of the application. For any questions, please contact managing director Petra van Dijk via email@example.com or 030 2536780.
- Dynamics of Youth encourages its young researchers - PhDs, postdocs - to actively participate in international conferences and symposia.
- Presenting a paper/poster at an international conference that is DoY-related;
- Topic of paper/presentation is DoY-related and focuses on children, adolescents or young adults (from conception to 24 years);
- Presentation should preferably lead to a publication.
- Applications should be submitted at least 3 months prior to the event, via Petra van Dijk, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants can apply only once in the period 2019-2021.
- Grants will be awarded to a maximum of 1.500 euros (real costs) when the applicant has been admitted for a presentation at the conference.
Download the DoY travel grant application form.
- DoY Funding for community events is meant to support the organization of events with a clear relation and added value to Dynamics of Youth. Events have to take place in The Netherlands. A reduced admission fee for PhDs and postdocs within Dynamics of Youth is required. Funding cannot exceed 3.000 euro, VAT included and covers no more than 50% of the total costs.
- DoY added value;
- The program itself;
- National reputation;
- Composition of the envisaged participants (interdisciplinary, transdisciplinary).
Please note the application contains adequate information for the evaluation committee to be able to judge on the specific aspects mentioned above.
- Applications have to be submitted to Petra van Dijk, email@example.com.
- The applications will be treated by the DoY program committee, both on content and finances.
- Applications have to be submitted no later than three months before the event takes place.
- Successful applicants hand in a report on content and budget no longer than three months after the event has taken place.
Download the DoY events application form.
- DoY funding for Summer Schools is open to scholars who are employed by Utrecht University and/or the UMC Utrecht.
- The call is open for all scholars with a profile related with the 5 major objectives (see above), including researchers involved in the six thematic DoY hubs and YOUth.
- The Summer School needs to have a clear added value for Dynamics of Youth. Funding is meant as a contribution to the costs of (inter)national keynote speakers who contribute to the Summer School;
- A reduced admission fee for PhDs and postdocs within Dynamics of Youth is highly appreciated;
- Applications will be judged upon the scientific quality and level of the Summer School that will be organized as well as on the interest for Dynamics of Youth. In all cases the following aspects will be taken into consideration:
- High-quality scientific level of the summer school curriculum, including the interest for Dynamics of Youth;
- The scientific reputation of the speaker to be invited;
- Theme and focus of the Summer School;
- Added value for Dynamics of Youth.
- Please note that the application contains adequate information to be able to judge on the specific aspects mentioned above.
- The deadline for applications: 5 October 2019 for Summer Schools in 2020.
- Funding cannot be higher than 3.000 euro, VAT included.
- The Program Committee of Dynamics of Youth decides at the latest by the end of October 2019.
- Successful applications will be refunded only once.
Download the DoY Summer School application form.
For any questions regarding these funding possibilities, please contact managing director Petra van Dijk via firstname.lastname@example.org or 030 2536780.
Research Professional is an online database that contains news and information about funding opportunities for European researchers. You can search for relevant calls and enter your own search criteria, like closing date or discipline, with the advanced search option. Examples of general search terms for Dynamics of Youth could be migration, youth or addiction.
When on campus, you automatically have access to the Research Professonal database. To access Research Professional off campus you need to subscribe. Having a personal account has more advantages: you can set e-mail alerts for interesting calls within your own discipline, and you are able to save your search queries.
Research Support Office
The Research Professional database is extensive, but by no means exhaustive. For comprehensive information or personal support, visit the Research Support Office (RSO). The Office has appointed Diederik van Iwaarden to Dynamics of Youth. Diederik identifies (national and international) funding opportunities and provides Dynamics of Youth researchers with appropriate advice. He can also help with writing applications and drafting budgets.
If you have any questions or need personal advice or assistance, don't hesitate to contact Diederik van Iwaarden at email@example.com.