Debye Annual Lecture
Hans-Jürgen Butt gives 2022 Debye Annual Lecture
Prof. dr. Hans-Jürgen Butt will give the 2022 Debye Annual Lecture on Friday, 7 October 2022 at 16h00. He is director of the Experimental Physics of Interfaces group at the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research and president of IACIS ( International Association of Colloid and Interface Scientists).
Hans-Jürgen Butt studies the structure and dynamics of interfaces. The aim is to better understand the relationship between structural changes, dynamics, and the driving forces. Major topics are interfacial forces and wetting, in particular wetting of superamphiphobic surfaces.
Debye Annual Lecture
The Debye Annual Lecture is a special annual event at which an internationally renowned scientist delivers a keynote lecture on one of the institute’s fields of interest.
Previous speakers include:
- 2021: No Debye Annual Lecture due to the Covid-19 pandemic
- 2020: No Debye Annual Lecture due to the Covid-19 pandemic
- 2019: The Debye Institute celebrated its 30th anniversary with a scientific symposium.
- 2018: Prof. Monika Ritsch-Marte (Department for Physiology and Medical Physics, Innsbruck Medical University): Synthetic Holography Trapping and Imaging: The Importance of Shaping Your Wavefront
- 2017: Prof. Ben L. Feringa (Stratingh Institute for Chemistry, Center for Systems Chemistry & Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials, University of Groningen, the Netherlands, Nobel Prize for Chemistry 2016): The art of building small
- 2016: Prof. Luis M. Liz-Marzán (Center for Cooperative Research in Biomaterials, CIC biomaGUNE, Spain): Composite plasmonic nanomaterials for biosensing and catalysis
- 2015: Prof. Ulrike Diebold (Institute of Applied Physics, Vienna University of Technology, Austria): Surface science studies of an iron oxide model catalyst
- 2014 Jubilee Lecture: Prof. Hans-Joachim Freund (Department of Chemical Physics, Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Germany): Models for heterogeneous catalysts: complex materials at the atomic level
- 2014 Jubilee Lecture: Prof. Jan Vermant (Department of Materials, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zürich, Switzerland / KU Leuven): Colloids at interfaces: how the rules of the game change…
- 2014 Jubilee Lecture: Prof. Romain Quidant (Institute of Photonic Sciences, Spain): Shining a (bright) light on the very small
- 2013: Prof. Martien A. Cohen Stuart (Physical Chemistry and Soft Matter Chair Group, Wageningen University, the Netherlands): Biomimetic materials: from modelatine to viromimic
- 2012: Prof. Ib Chorkendorff (Danish National Research Foundation Center for Individual Nanoparticle Functionality, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark): Heterogeneous catalysis: a part of the solution for future energy conversion