The yearly Bijvoet Symposia allows PhD candidates in the Bijvoet Centre to present their research to the entire institute, combined with external speakers. Over the years, a large number of excellent speakers have presented at the symposium. Without exception the invited speakers were top-scientists that have contributed significantly to the progress of their respective areas of science. All past speakers can be found here.
The invited speakers for 2021 (final date to be picked) are:
- Jonathan Elegheert (students’ invitation): molecular principles of neuronal signalling in health and disease
- Doryen Bubeck: the role of membrane proteins in host-pathogen interactions
- Judith Klumperman: the organization of intra- and extracellular communication and how genetic mutations lead to cellular disorganization and disease
- Jason Gestwicki: how molecular chaperones regulate protein folding and homeostasis
- Claudia Steinem: membrane fusion and fission, transport across the membrane and protein-lipid and protein-protein interactions occurring at the membrane interface
The Bijvoet tutorial symposia, which have been organized since 1989, are devoted to various aspects of the structure, function and interaction of biomolecules. The meeting is intended for everybody interested in structural biology. All PhD candidates, postdoctoral fellows and staff members working at the Bijvoet Graduate School are expected to actively participate in this event. It creates unique possibilities to become fully aware of the multi-disciplinary approach that is necessary to solve problems related to the functioning of biomolecules.
PhD candidate of the Year
Before every Bijvoet Symposium, supervisors of our PhD candidates are asked to nominate people for the award of PhD candidate of the Year. From all nominees, the Scientific Advisory Board of the Bijvoet Centre selects the winning candidate, who receives a prize and is given the opportunity to present their research at the symposium.
The winners of the PhD candidate of the year award of the Bijvoet Centre over the past years are:
- 2018: João Medeiros Silva (NMR Spectroscopy)
- 2017: Tania Morán Luengo (Cellular Protein Chemistry)
- 2017: Deniz Ugurlar (Crystal and Structural Chemistry)
- 2016: Deni Mance (NMR Spectroscopy)
- 2015: Gydo van Zundert (Computational Structural Biology)
- 2014: Joost Snijder (Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry & Proteomics)
- 2013: Weng Chuan Peng (Crystal and Structural Chemistry)
- 2012: Panagiotis Kastritis (Computational Structural Biology)
- 2011: Ezgi Karaca (Computational Structural Biology)
- 2010: Elif Karagöz (Cellular Protein Chemistry)
- 2009: Jin Wu (Crystal and Structural Chemistry)