Teaching Qualification Assessment and Examination in an International Classroom
This course is equivalent to the official teaching qualification examination course for teachers at universities of applied sciences (in Dutch: BKE). This course is unique in the sense that it offers the teaching qualification assessment-examination course with a focus on assessment in the international classroom.
- Suitable for:
- Dutch and international teachers at Universities of Applied Sciences (in Dutch: HBO) who have more than one year of experience in teaching and assessing in an international classroom at a University of Applied Sciences
- Start date(s):
- 18 April 2023
- Time investment:
- 60 hours (including meetings, self-study and preparation)
- Utrecht Science Park
- Onderwijsadvies & Training
- € 1790 (incl. certification)
- Extra information:
Certificate received: Teaching Qualification Assessment and Examination in Higher Education (TQA-IC, in Dutch: BKE)
During the sessions we will discuss the themes and competences that are related to the assessment of the TQA-IC qualification. You will be asked to do assignments and to read literature in preparation for these sessions. Meanwhile, that is, parallel to our sessions, you will be working on your TQA-IC portfolio. We will make use of Incremental grading with which you will have the opportunity to receive written or oral feedback more than once during the process of constructing your TQA-IC portfolio.
Two main constructs are used in this course: the Quality Pyramid for contemporary assessment and the Assessment Cycle. You will use the Assessment Cycle for designing, administrating and evaluating your own assessments. You will use the Quality Pyramid for your own assessments in order to justify that your assessments fit into the exam policy and exam programmes of your department and the institute.
Session 1 and 2: Introduction: what is assessment?
We will discuss important concepts in the field of assessment (i.e., constructive alignment, validity, reliability, and transparency) and introduce the assessment cycle. We will discuss quality criteria for constructing good exam questions that fit the intended learning outcomes. In addition, we will discuss the Quality pyramid for contemporary assessment in the context of an international classroom.
Session 3: Adapting your assignments
We will focus on how the Dutch grading system differs from other systems throughout the world. In addition, we will work on adapting your own assignments and assessments for the international classroom, and introduce rubrics as a means to assess complex skills. We will also pay attention to the power of formative assessment.
Session 4: Test analysis
We will focus on test analysis as a means to examine the (statistical) quality of your own assessments. We will use peer feedback on your concept TQA-IC portfolios in which we focus on your justification and reflection on the choices you have made.
After you have successfully finished this programme, you will be able to:
- Justify the choices made regarding your assessments/exams in relation to the assessment policy of the department of the institute;
- Critically analyse your assessments in comparison to the course objectives and to relevant learning tracks in the programme;
- Identify the consequences of the assessment programme for the content, form and level of the course assessment;
- Identify the consequences of the assessment programme for your international classroom;
- Improve the quality of your assessments by using the assessment cycle and by analysing your assessment results;
- Relate different grading cultures to the Dutch grading system in higher education;
- Reflect on the choices you have made by using relevant literature and didactical frameworks that are applicable to your own assessment practice with a focus on the international classroom.
Participants receive a Teaching Qualification Assessment and Examination in Higher Education (TQA-IC, in Dutch: BKE) when all sessions have been attended and the portfolio shows that the applicant masters all necessary competencies for obtaining the Qualification Assessment-Examination in Higher Education in an International Classroom.
- Session 1 and 2: Tuesday 18 April 2023, 9.30 - 16.30
- Session 3: Tuesday 16 May 2023, 9.30 - 12.30
- Session 4: Tuesday 6 June 2023, 9.30 - 12.30
About Educational Development & Training
Educational Development & Training translates academic insights into the daily practice of teaching. As a teaching professional you can come to us throughout the course of your career for training, advice and solutions tailored to your specific teaching-related needs. Visit our website.
Payment and cancelation terms and conditions
Terms and conditions of payment and cancelation apply to all services provided by Educational Development & Training.