We do not only look at the horizon, we also move towards it. We form alliances, because we believe they will help us progress.
Working together towards a better world
- "We just add one more chair" Incluusion gives refugees the opportunity to enrol in university degree programmes, so they can continue the academic careers that they started in their home countries.
- Living Labs In Living Labs, we connect science with social issues nearby. The Smart Solar Charging project is a great example: This charging system can both charge and discharge electric cars, thus enabling them to actively participate in smart energy networks.
- Inspiring hotspot “In this inspiring hotspot, companies, researchers, clinicians and students work together on groundbreaking science, which accelerates innovation.” -Friso Smit, Utrecht Science Park Foundation.
- Johanna Westerdijk On 10 February 1917, Johanna Westerdijk became a Professor by Special Appointment at Utrecht University. She was the first female professor in the Netherlands.
Facts and figures
Our 7 faculties cover the full scientific spectrum of research and education.
More than 650 professors play a vital role in the development of academic education and research.
With 7400 employees we are working towards a better world, ervery day.
We have over 170.000 alumni which we are very proud of.
- Janneke PlantengaDiversity Dean
Professor Janneke Plantenga has been appointed the first Diversity Dean at Utrecht University. "Diversity needs to become the standard, and we need to get everyone on board for this."
- Expedition teamFrida Hoem, Margot Cramwinckel, Francesca Sangiorgi
Three earth scientists from Utrecht University have sailed with international research vessel the JOIDES Resolution. A remarkably high level of representation, especially since all three are in the same research group.
- Karin RebelLecturer
Together with colleagues and a game company, Karin developed the Utrecht 2040 Game: A serious game that introduces students to sustainability through the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Lothar BlomFundraiser University Fund
"I get a lot of energy from the conversations I have with inspiring top scientists or students who work on great projects. These conversations make me notice how much talent is around at the university."
Partners and networks
We form alliances, internationally as well as in our own Utrecht region, because we believe they will help us progress.