Postdoc Philosophy of AI (0.9 FTE) for four years
- Hours per week:
- 36 to 36
- Faculty of Humanities
- departement Filosofie en Religiewetenschap
- Application deadline:
In order to strengthen its research capacity in newly emerging research fields in theoretical philosophy, the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies at Utrecht University is currently looking for a PostDoc in the Philosophy of AI.
We are particularly interested in research regarding issues in theoretical philosophy of AI. Examples include:
- philosophical theories of explanation and understanding in relation to explainability in AI;
- the problem of induction in relation to sub-symbolic AI techniques;
- computationalism and theories of computation and deduction in relation to logic and AI;
- the hard problems of consciousness, content and intentionality in relation to computation and AI;
- human autonomy, autonomy in AI and their relation and interaction;
- philosophical implications of the symbolic versus the subsymbolic paradigm within AI;
- AI applications to social epistemology and discursive dilemma type phenomena.
The Postdoc position (four years) is embedded in the university wide focus area of Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence and is funded by the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies at Utrecht University. Prospective candidates are requested to write a brief research statement, fitting in with one of these themes. The proposal should be no longer than 2,000 words (excluding references).
- PhD in philosophy or a cognate discipline;
- proficiency in academic English;
- ability to work independently and in a team, with good organizational and communication skills.
We offer a temporary position (0.9 FTE) for a period of four years, preferably starting 1 September 2021. A 0.1 FTE teaching appointment may be added to the position if the area of expertise fits the department’s teaching need. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,475 and €4,402 (scale 10 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
About the organisation
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 6,000 students and 900 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and education in these fields, the Faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city center of Utrecht, where the Faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the ‘apply’ button below.
Please upload the following:
- an application letter that sets out your qualifications and motivation for applying for the position;
- a curriculum vitae;
- an outline of the research project you would like to pursue during your Postdoc (no more than 2,000 words);
- a copy of your PhD thesis and, if applicable, a sample of your published work;
- two letters of reference.
Interviews will be scheduled in the week of 17 May. Employment will become effective as of September 2021.
The application deadline is 25 April 2021.