Policy advisor/project leader University Library (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
- Hours per week:
- 32 to 40
- University Administration
- Application deadline:
Are you looking for a dynamic job in the ever-changing world of the university? Do you like collecting, structuring and analyzing information? Do you enjoy working on projects and dealing with a variety of subjects? And would you like to help shape policy advice and project management within Utrecht University Library (UL)? Then we would like to meet you. We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague to join us as policy advisor/project leader!
Our services are always in state of flux. Academic information is increasingly available digitally and openly, the way in which our users (researchers and students) find and use academic material is constantly changing, and the use of the physical library space also demands to be aligned to these developments. In addition, we see that the issues are becoming more complex and that they transcend the sectors (academic services, collection services and public services) within the library. Due to the departure of a colleague, we are looking for a policy advisor/project leader.
What will you be doing?
In this position you will use your qualities to support the library management team in its policy development on various and varying topics. You create overview on complex themes and help to make well-founded policy choices. In addition, you take on projects that arise from these policy choices. As a project leader, you organize and facilitate the process in consultation with your sponsor.
You are part of the library administrative staff and you work closely with your fellow policy advisors, project managers and project support. You also work closely with various colleagues within the library and other parts of Utrecht University (UU). Where necessary, you will liaise with the wider (national and international) network. This is a varied job in which writing and advising are combined with a hands-on approach and project-based work.
- You advise (solicited and unsolicited) and support the management team on issues concerning the policy areas that fall under your responsibilities, you evaluate implemented policies and take the initiative for adjustments of existing policies.
- You gather information about relevant developments or themes in the field of our services from colleagues within the library and in the broader field of work and you know how to interpret, process and present this clearly.
- You translate information into scenarios and clear advice and you stimulate the development of policy within the library by helping colleagues to translate cases into policy proposals.
- You direct projects that focus on the improvement or renewal of existing services and the development of new services. You are responsible for the project plan and its realization, up to and including the final report and evaluation. Where possible, you use standardized methods for this.
The tasks are divided in mutual consultation with your colleagues.
As a policy advisor/project leader you are enterprising and have a feeling for political and administrative relations. You can easily switch between different subjects and know how to connect people, opinions and interests. You work independently and know how to involve people and find the answers needed to do the job well.
Our ideal candidate for this position:
- has obtained an academic degree;
- can quickly delve into a subject and knows how to ask the right (critical) questions;
- is able to work in a project-based manner and preferably has experience with the application of project methods;
- enjoys working in an academic environment; knowledge of or affinity with scientific information provision is a plus;
- feels at home in a world full of digital applications; new technological possibilities make you curious.
We work in an international context and some of the meetings take place in English. We therefore ask candidates to have a good command of both Dutch and English.
We offer a temporary position (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) for one year in an international working environment. After positive evaluation, this can be turned into a permanent position. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €2,960 and €4,670 (scale 10 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). For more information, please visit working at Utrecht University.
About the organisation
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in their top research and inspiring education. At Utrecht University, various disciplines work closely together on socially important themes. The focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability. Utrecht University has strong ambitions in the field of open science.
Utrecht University Library is a reliable partner for researchers, lecturers and students in the field of scientific information provision. We use our expertise to continuously improve the scientific communication cycle. We inspire people to connect and exchange knowledge. We organize our services in close cooperation with other parties within and outside Utrecht University, transcending the boundaries between disciplines.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
The first round of interviews will be scheduled on 11 October 2022.
The application deadline is 2 October 2022.