PhD Candidate/Lecturer in Marketing of Sustainable Development Technologies (1.0 FTE)
- Hours per week:
- 36 to 40
- Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance
- Utrecht University School of Economics
- Application deadline:
Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) is looking for a Lecturer/PhD candidate with a strong interest in the marketing and diffusion of sustainable development technologies. In this position, you will develop research skills and gain teaching experience, which enables you to jump-start your future (academic) career.
Over a period of six years, you will conduct doctoral research and you will teach students. You will spend 60% of your time on your research and 40% on teaching. The exact details of your schedule will be determined in close consultation between you, your supervisors and our education coordinators. The schedule may vary per period, but will be determined well in advance. Working time is reserved for training and development, amongst others for obtaining your Basic Teaching Qualification and for PhD courses. Within the period of six years, the progress of your research and your work as a teacher will be evaluated on predetermined moments.
The focus of your research and dissertation will be on the innovations that individual citizens across the globe develop to address UNDP’s sustainable development goals (SDGs). For example, citizens have developed applications in sustainable energy (wind/solar energy), 3D printing (waste reduction/separation) and virtual reality (visualization/education tools). The research focus is on conditions in which these innovations disseminate to other people, looking at the role of marketing, crowdfunding, and insights from behavioral economics. You will actively collaborate with experts from marketing, innovation, finance, and behavioral economics.
We are looking for a talented researcher with passion for teaching, who meets multiple of the following requirements:
- a Master’s degree in a social science (economics, marketing, management, communication, psychology, or a related discipline). A research master’s degree is preferred;
- good quantitative research skills in social sciences (e.g., surveys, structural equation modelling, experiments, web-scraping, organizing surveys);
- being good at working in a team, a proactive organizer, and feeling comfortable doing multidisciplinary research;
- having a preference for individual- and business-level research questions;
- excellent writing skills. You speak and write English fluently, and you are at least proficient in Dutch on a basic level, or willing to achieve this;
- being eager to conduct innovative and thorough research, resulting in a PhD degree within six years;
- willingness to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (BKO in Dutch), in which you (further) develop your teaching skills, or you already hold this qualification.
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for six years in an international working environment. The gross salary ranges between €2.960 and €4,670 (scale 10 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). For more information, please visit working at Utrecht University.
About the organisation
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major strategic themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance is a faculty at the heart of society, with a strong focus on social issues. Our subjects of Law, Economics and Governance give us a strong mix of academic disciplines that complement and enhance each other. This is a unique combination and a mark of our faculty's strength.
The Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E) is part of the LEG Faculty. U.S.E. aims to contribute to an economy where people flourish, by taking a broad view on welfare and its causes. We aspire to be an internationally renowned school of economics, with scientifically rigorous and societally relevant research and education. We enrich economics with other disciplines to better solve problems and identify opportunities, from a business and government point of view. Well-being, cooperation, innovation and curiosity are our core values. U.S.E. maintains an excellent international network of academic relationships and is continuously working on extending this network. U.S.E. has four sections; you will be employed at the Entrepreneurship section. The section contributes to academic Master's programmes in Business Development and Entrepreneurship, International Management, Business and Social Impact, and Science and Business Management, and the academic Bachelor's programme Economics and Business Economics.
For more information about this position, please contact Prof. Dr. Jeroen de Jong (professor of Marketing and Business Development) via email@example.com or Dr. Anouk de Regt via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation, via the ‘apply’ button. Your application should include:
- a motivation letter; please elaborate on your affinity with the research topic, obtained research competences, and ideas about contributions to our teaching;
- a complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae;
- a recently published paper, Bachelor's and/or Master's thesis;
- if available: teaching evaluations of taught courses;
- if available: reference letters.
The first round of interviews will be scheduled mid April 2023. The hiring procedure will include at least two rounds; an assessment centre and presentation will be part of the second round. The procedure is planned to be finished in May 2023.
Please do not contact U.S.E. with services or other commercial interest.
The application deadline is 1 April 2023.