Full Professor in Corporate Finance (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
- Hours per week:
- 32 to 40
- Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance
- Utrecht University School of Economics
- Application deadline:
The Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) is expanding its Finance Section. With the appointment of a new Chair in Corporate Finance the School wants to invest in strengthening education and research. The chair holder is expected to make an essential contribution to research and education in the field of corporate finance.
In terms of research, the candidate’s profile should preferably have connections with areas such as corporate finance, corporate governance, financial reporting, entrepreneurial finance, bankruptcy, and fintech. Even though the Chair's research focus is on corporate finance, connections to other research themes at U.S.E. (future of work, behavioural insights for policy making, entrepreneurship, and sustainability and economic development) and to the Utrecht University strategic themes Institutions for Open Societies and/or Pathways to Sustainability are highly appreciated. There are also opportunities to contribute to the Sustainable Finance Lab and the European Center for Alternative Finance, both hosted by U.S.E.
In terms of teaching expertise, the Chair is expected to be knowledgeable of the full domain of corporate finance. This includes Master's courses such as Advanced Corporate Finance, Financial Statement Analysis, Multinational Corporate Finance, Entrepreneurial Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Sustainable Finance. The Chair is also responsible for the general coordination of the introductory courses in financial management, offered within the Bachelor's Economics and Business Economics and for the accounting-related courses, offered at Bachelor's and Master's level. Teaching is in English.
More specifically the Chair's activities and responsibilities will include:
- performing and encouraging scientific research in the field of corporate finance, also in cooperation with scholars from other disciplines;
- the supervision of PhD candidates;
- contributing to the research climate of the Section, Department, Faculty and University at large;
- contribution to the financial sustainability of the Department, among others by actively seeking external funding;
- participation in the education in the U.S.E. Bachelor's and Master's programmes.
The Chair of Corporate Finance fits the following profile:
- The candidate has a PhD in Finance or Economics, and a broad and extensive knowledge of and experience in the field of financial management.
- The candidate is a recognized and active member of national and international academic networks in the field of Corporate Finance.
- The candidate has a strong track record in research, as demonstrated among other things by publications in top-tier academic journals.
- The candidate has proven experience in leading, supervising, and stimulating PhD students and other young Researchers.
- The candidate has a record of achievements in undergraduate and graduate teaching and coordination.
- The candidate has a proven ability to acquire funding.
- The candidate possesses good communicative skills.
- The candidate is fluent in English.
The appointment is part of our ongoing efforts to increase the diversity of the school faculty. We especially welcome women to apply.
We offer a temporary position (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) for a period of five years. In case of good performance, an appointment for an indefinite period of time is possible. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €5,749 and €10,106 (scale H2-H1 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
About the organisation
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance is a faculty at the heart of society, with a strong focus on social issues. Our subjects of Law, Economics and Governance provides a strong mix of academic disciplines that complement and enhance each other. This is a unique combination and a mark of our faculty's strength.
The candidate will become a member of the Finance Section at the Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.), which is part of the Law, Economics, and Governance Faculty of Utrecht University. U.S.E. aims to contribute to an economy in which people flourish, by taking a broad view on welfare and its causes. We aspire to be an internationally renowned school of economics, with scientifically rigorous and societally relevant research and education. We enrich economics with other disciplines to better solve problems and identify opportunities, from a business and government point of view: a real-world perspective. Cooperation, innovation, curiosity and well-being are our core values. U.S.E. maintains an excellent international network of academic relationships and is continuously working on extending this network. The curricula are fully taught in English. U.S.E. is also an important contributor to the European Center for Alternative Finance, the Sustainable Finance Lab and the Centre for Entrepreneurship.
To apply, please send your application via the ‘apply’ button below.
The application should include:
- a motivation letter;
- a complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae;
- teaching evaluations of previous courses, if applicable;
- the names and email addresses of three academic referees.
A first evaluation round will consider applications received before May 28th, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
Please do not contact U.S.E. with services or other commercial interests.
The application deadline is 28 May 2021.