Assistant Professor in Media, Arts & Society (1.0 FTE)
- Hours per week:
- 38 to 40
- Faculty of Humanities
- departement Media- en Cultuurwetenschappen
- Application deadline:
The Department of Media and Culture Studies invites applications for two Assistant Professorships in Media, Arts & Society, starting January 1, 2022 (earlier is negotiable).
The successful applicant will teach in the Dutch and English-language BA programme Media en Cultuur/Media and Culture, and the MA programme Arts & Society and RMA Media, Art & Performance Studies of the Department of Media and Culture Studies.
The appointment includes 30 percent research time. We expect the candidate to actively contribute to the research agenda of Media and Culture Studies and participate in research collaboration within the department and beyond.
For this position we are looking for candidates who contribute to research into the role of media, art and technology in contemporary culture, questions about the impact of the algorithmic turn on various cultural, artistic and social practices, and forms of knowledge production, and into the role of the humanities in responding to contemporary cultural transformations and societal challenges. We are specifically interested in candidates contributing to trans- and interdisciplinary research agendas around participatory practices and civic engagement, and/or critical perspectives for fostering diversity and justice in our mediatized society.
As a candidate you are committed to furthering new and innovative developments in academic research and teaching, and to participating in interdisciplinary collaborations and partnerships within and beyond the university. You meet the following requirements:
- You hold a PhD in the humanities with a research focus on media studies, media and performance studies, cultural analysis, or adjacent fields.
- You have relevant experience teaching BA and MA levels (i.e. on subjects of media history and theory, art and media curation, media art and design, urban media art, interactive media, participatory practices).
- You have experience in supervising individual thesis projects on BA and MA level.
- You are interested in interdisciplinary research and education.
- You are an active and ambitious Researcher with output that reflects this.
- You have demonstrable ability and ambition to obtain external research grants.
- You have demonstrable ability and ambition in outreach, interprofessional collaboration, and challenge-driven education or research.
- You are a strong team worker and capable of multidisciplinary collaboration.
- You have experience in university administration, in particular with regard to a teaching or research programme (desirable).
- You have excellent organisational experience and skills.
- You have acquired the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification, or are willing to acquire this within the first two years.
- You are fluent in Dutch and English, preferably approaching near-native standard; if you do not have a native command of Dutch you are expected to obtain B2-level (CEFR) spoken and written Dutch within two years of the appointment.
We offer a position (1.0 FTE) for a period of two years with the intention of converting it into a permanent contract after a positive assessment. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,746 and €5,826 (scale 11-12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
About the organisation
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 6,000 students and 900 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and education in these fields, the faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city center of Utrecht, where the faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment.
The Department of Media and Culture Studies provides education on and carries out research in the fields of film, television, games, new media and digital culture, theatre, dance and performance, gender and ethnicity, music and cultural policies. Culture is a dynamic mix of artistic, creative and everyday practices with which people shape their identities and actions, and within which societal structures and institutions take shape. Media (old and new) are crucial factors in these processes.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the ‘apply’ button below.
The first round of interviews will probably be held in the first week of September.
The application deadline is 15 August 2021.