Appointment of Chair in Organizations and Sustainability (1.0 FTE)
- Hours per week:
- 36 to 40
- Faculty of Geosciences
- GEO / Dept SD
- Application deadline:
The Chair is a full-time appointment including a management component. The appointee will be expected to spend 50% of time on research activities, 40% on teaching and 10% on management. However, this percentage depends on responsibilities and management tasks.
The aim of the Chair is to develop scientific insights on how organisations pursue radical change strategies, how they acquire or loose resources and legitimacy in the process of doing so, and what conditions are conducive for success and failure. Although an emphasis can be foreseen on firms as key organisations, given the collective nature of sustainability transitions, it is expected that also influences of other organisations are taken into account. The Chair will contribute to the excellent international scientific profile of the Copernicus Institute by developing and executing transdisciplinary research in the field of organisations, innovation and sustainability, and by contributing to theory development in the fields of sustainability research and organisation/management studies.
The appointee meets the following qualifications:
- a PhD in Organisation Studies, Transition Studies, Innovation Studies, Management Science, Sociology, Economics, Geography or a related field;
- outstanding problem- and theory-guided research achievements, demonstrated by an excellent publication record, and strong expertise in quantitative and/or qualitative research methodology;
- strong reputation in the international scientific community as evidenced by successful engagement with international networks and projects;
- an inspiring research vision, including a vision on future collaborations with adjacent fields and groups;
- an interest in societal challenges related to sustainable development, and the ambition to engage in interactions related to these topics;
- excellent social, organisational and management skills in teaching and research;
- research leadership as evidenced by significant contributions to establishing and leading research groups and engagement in mentoring early career Researchers;
- good relations with businesses and empirical knowledge about business strategy;
- proven ability to successfully recruit and supervise PhD students, and experience in successfully obtaining and leading (inter)national research grants;
- ability to inspire others while supporting team spirit, and proven engagement in mentoring early career Researchers;
- excellent didactic qualities and experience in teaching at all levels in order to provide, develop and organise high-quality education, including education for stakeholders from industry, government and civil society;
- a vision for and experience with developing innovative teaching methods for the design and delivery of education;
- strong and proven ability to communicate with the non-academic world.
The position is offered on a fulltime basis. The gross monthly salary is dependent on previous qualifications and experience and ranges between €5,843 and €8,508 (scale H2 Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities). Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% of annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 % of annual salary per year. Additionally, Utrecht University offers an attractive package of secondary employment benefits.
Facilities for sports and childcare are available on the main campus, which is located only 15 minutes away from the historical city centre of Utrecht.
The University’s International Service Desk will provide support to new international faculty members with an onboarding process, as well as provide career services for their spouse.
About the organisation
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
Utrecht University's Faculty of Geosciences studies the Earth: from the Earth's core to its surface, including man's spatial and material utilisation of the Earth - always with a focus on sustainability and innovation. With 3,400 students (BSc and MSc) and 720 staff, the faculty is a strong and challenging organisation. The Faculty of Geosciences is organised in four Departments: Earth Sciences, Human Geography & Spatial Planning, Physical Geography, and Sustainable Development.
The Faculty of Geosciences at Utrecht University is the largest in the Netherlands, offering a comprehensive range of geosciences courses in both the sciences and social sciences. The Sustainable Development Department, also known as the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development, is one of four departments at the Faculty of Geosciences and investigates processes and opportunities for innovative change towards sustainability. The Copernicus Institute offers a unique multidisciplinary environment and has its primary emphasis on the sustainability challenges faced by society and how society is coping with these challenges.
Utrecht University is pleased to invite applications for a Chair in Organisations and Sustainability. The Chair will be appointed at the Faculty of Geosciences and its Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development to help drive education, research, and impact creation in this area.
An executive search exercise is being undertaken by Perrett Laver to assist the recruitment committee. Applications, consisting of a covering letter explaining motivation and qualifications for the position and a full curriculum vitae can be uploaded here, quoting reference 5282. The closing date for applications is 9am CEST on Monday 1th November.
Applications will be considered by the selection committee in November and shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview mid-November. Selection of and negotiations with the preferred candidate and final campus visits will take place thereafter.
The application deadline is 1 November 2021.