Chair of Strategy, Organisation and Entrepreneurship
The chair of Strategy, Organization & Entrepreneurship at the Utrecht University School of Economics conducts world class research in strategy, organization and entrepreneurship with a particular focus on ambitious entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship, entrepreneurial orientation, institutions, regions, industrial development, innovation policy and entrepreneurship policy.
The research domain of the chair concerns the analysis of new value creation by (groups of) individuals, based on insights from economics, geography, psychology, sociology, and history. Chair members have published in journals like Small Business Economics, Journal of Economic Psychology, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, Economic Geography, Regional Studies, Industrial and Corporate Change, and the Service Industries Journal.
Examples of current research are:
- the nature and causes of ambitious entrepreneurship (Niels Bosma, Erik Stam);
- entrepreneurial orientation of firms and employees (Chen Fleisher, Coen Rigtering);
- intrapreneurship and firm performance (Coen Rigtering, Erik Stam);
- multi-level antecedents and consequences of intrapreneurship (Niels Bosma, Werner Liebregts, Erik Stam, André van Stel);
- industrial dynamics and regional clusters (Niels Bosma, Erik Stam);
- entrepreneurial ecosystems (Rebean Al-Silefanee, Niels Bosma, Erik Stam);
- innovation ecosystems (Erik Stam, Bilgehan Uzunca);
- social entrepreneurship (Niels Bosma, Simone Pourier);
- entrepreneurship and innovation policy (Niels Bosma, Erik Stam);
- regulation and innovation (Niels Bosma, Johan den Hertog, Erik Stam).
Within Utrecht University the chairs research fits the Strategic Theme Institutions, in which it collaborates with research groups in geography, history, innovation studies, law, psychology and sociology.
The chair has strong connections to other academic institutes like the Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School (Belgium), London School of Economics (UK), Lund University (Sweden), Stockholm School of Economics (Sweden), Indiana University (USA), Rhodes University (South Africa), Stellenbosch University (South Africa), Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (South Africa) and other research institutes and associations like the Global Entrepreneurship Research Association (hosting GEM), the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO), and the European Institute of Innovation and Technology – Climate Knowledge and Innovation Community (EIT Climate-KIC).
It has been involved in policy work for a.o. the Advisory Council for Science and Technology Policy (AWT), the Netherlands Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR), the Social Economic Council (SER), the European Commission, and the OECD. Chair members serve on the editorial boards of journals like Small Business Economics (Stam) and the Journal of Small Business Management (Bosma). It also collaborates with business firms and organizations to improve insight into their strategy, organization and performance.
Teaching of the chair focuses on business economics, strategic management, organization, marketing, entrepreneurship and innovation,.
- Prof. dr. Harry Hummels - professor of Economics, in particular Social Entrepreneurship
- Prof. mr. Bernard Wientjes - professor of Economics, in particular Entrepreneurship and Leadership
- Dr. Johan den Hertog LLM - associate professor
- Dr. Gábòr Péli - associate professor
- Dr. Niels Bosma - assistant professor
- Dr. Coen Rigtering - assistant professor
- Dr. Carla Do Rosario Costa - assistant professor
- Drs. Peter O. van der Meer - assistant professor
- Dr. Bilgehan Uzunca - assistant professor
- Riccardo Valboni MSc - assistant professor
- Dr. Lori di Vito - assistant professor
- Luigi Pinna MSc - lecturer
- Dr. Chen Fleisher - postdoc
- Dr. Friedemann Polzin - postdoc
- Werner Liebregts MSc - PhD candidate
- Mr. Rebean Al-Silefanee - scholar PhD candidate