Utrecht University uses the University Hall for graduations, PhD ceremonies, inaugural lectures, valedictory lectures and other academic manifestations.
There is the possibility of booking rooms for conferences, meeting, dinners and receptions. You can also book rooms in the Faculty Club.
You can book various kinds of rooms in the University Hall. Each room has its own history. Please contact FSC Bureau reserverations for bookings of the rooms for meetings, diners or receptions at +31 30 253 8254 or via firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote free of engagement. The staff can tell you everything about the rooms, prices, available facilities, conditions for bookings, et cetera.
23 January 1579 was an important date in the building’s history, when the Union of Utrecht was signed in the Chapter Hall. This treaty created the basis for the Republic of the United Netherlands.
Johanna Westerdijk (1883–1961) was the first female professor in the Netherlands. On 10 February 1917, she was named professor by special appointment at Utrecht University.
The name of this hall refers to the year that Utrecht University was founded. Its fireplace bears a picture of Van der Hoolck and Van Velthuisen, mayors of Utrecht in 1636.
Belle van Zuylenzaal
Belle van Zuylen attended lectures at the university. Later, she became known as a European author under the name of Madame de Charrière.
Until 1970, the Senate Hall was a common room in which professors held meetings under the chairmanship of the Rector Magnificus. The walls of the Senate Hall have been hung with a portrait gallery of the university’s own professors.
Cornelis W. Opzoomer (1821–1892) was professor of Philosophy in Utrecht from 1846 to 1889. In addition, he was an influential lawyer and translator. Opzoomer was the first professor to break with the ancient tradition of holding his inaugural speech in Latin, presenting it in Dutch instead.
Gerhard Willem Kernkamp was professor of General and National History after the Middle Ages in Utrecht from 1903 to 1935.
Joan Röell was a member of the Board of Trustees of Utrecht University for some 30 years. He was a typical university administrator for the period from 1815 to 1940.
From 1836 to 1956, the masquerade formed one of the absolute highlights of the Anniversary Day celebrations of Utrecht University. In this theatre performance, disguised persons were accompanied on stage by all kinds of exotic animals and horses.
Living Room (Faculty Club)
The Living Room of the Faculty Club is an attractive meeting venue for members of the Utrecht University community and their guests.
Kanunnikenzaal (Faculty Club)
The Canons’ Hall is named after the earlier residents of this building at the address of Achter de Dom 7.
Sterrecamer (Faculty Club)
The Star Chamber is situated on the first floor of the distinctive medieval tower of the Faculty Club.
Torenkamer (Faculty Club)
The Tower Room is located on the second floor of the medieval tower and can only be reached via the stairs. After 1813, this part of the building was in use as the police headquarters. The Tower Room was used as a cell to ‘restrain’ suspects.
Different seating arrangments are possible in every room. Each setup has a maximum capacity. Take a look at the seating arragements below.