Building and Architecture

The oldest part of the University Hall is the Auditorium, the former Chapter House, which dates back to 1462.

The medieval Chapter House and the adjacent quadrangle belonged to the Catholic cathedral chapter. In 1579, the Auditorium hosted the signing of the Treaty of Utrecht, an event that is generally viewed as marking the origin of the Dutch nation.

The front of the University Hall, built between 1891-1894 in the Dutch Renaissance style by master builders E. Gugel and F.J. Nieuwenhuis, was a gift from the citizens of Utrecht. In 1924, the new Senate Hall was added; it now houses portraits of the University’s most learned academics. In 2001-2002, the University Hall was completely renovated under the supervision of the architect Maarten Fritz.

Free leaflets containing more information about the University Hall are available from Reception.