Fees Degree Students

The cost of an undergraduate education at University College has three elements: tuition fees, campus fees and personal expenses.

Tuition Fees

University College, as part of Utrecht University, receives state funding for students with European Economic Area1 (EEA) citizenship. As a consequence UCU charges different tuition fees for EEA and non-EEA citizens. Citizens of Switzerland and Surinam also pay the EEA fee. 

Campus Fees

The campus fees cover the general costs of living on campus and making use of the campus facilities. Water, electricity and internet connectivity are included. More information about living on campus. You can find a breakdown of the campus fees here (2018 - 2019).

All students are automatically a member of the University College Student Association.

Personal Expenses

Students face personal expenses such as food, clothes, books, sports, insurance, and travel and living expenses during the holidays. Non-EEA students will also have to pay for a residence permit. Students need an additional € 5000,- (estimate) a year to cover these costs. EEA citizen and citizens from Switzerland and Suriname can apply for a tuition fee loan with the Dutch government. This loan only covers the tuition fee, not personal expenses. More information can be found on the DUO website. Depending on residency permit and other criteria there may be further financial possibilities. More information can be found onthe DUO website.

Costs 2018 - 2019 EEA1 students Non-EEA students EEA with Dutch
BA/MA degree
Tuition fee (paid to UU) € 4.1002 € 10.500 € 10.829
Visa   € 192  
Campus fees € 6.050 € 6.050 € 6.050
UCSA membership € 73 € 73 € 73
Total per year € 10.223 € 16.815 € 16.952
Total per month € 852 € 1.401 € 1.413
Personal expenses (incl food, estimate per year) € 5.000 € 5.000 € 5.000

All students can pay the campus fees in either one, two or ten installments.

EEA-citizens and citizens from Switzerland can pay the tuition fees in one or five instalments.

However, students who require an entry visa/residence permit will need to pay the tuition fee and the entry visa/residence permit costs in one instalment in advance, in order to obtain their entry visa/residence permit. From their second year onwards, they can pay in one or five instalments, provided they have a bank account in a SEPA country. You can find out whether you need an entry visa or residence permit here.

1 EEA countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

2 The Dutch government has decided to reduce the statutory tuition fees for specific groups of first-year bachelor's students from academic year 2018/19 onwards. You can find more information regarding the tuition fee on the bachelor website.