Entrance Requirements for Degree Students
Selection of students
To be accepted at UCU applicants must undergo a selection procedure. Each year UCU selects about 225 students from a considerably larger pool of applicants. Candidates must meet a set of minimum requirements and fit a general profile to be accepted. The same assessment criteria hold for all students and are applied fairly and impartially.
N.B. For your application to be considered, all documents, with the exception of the reference letters, must be uploaded by the application deadline. Incomplete applications cannot be considered and will be rendered inactive.
Applicants must have a Dutch high school diploma at VWO level (any profile) or a foreign equivalent, such as the International Baccalaureate diploma or the British A-levels. You can check whether your diploma meets this requirement in the high school diploma list.
Proof of English Proficiency
Since English is the official language at UCU, applicants are required to demonstrate proof of proficiency. The following exemptions apply:
- For IB diploma students (following a full International Baccalaureate program) there is no need to add additional proof of English proficiency.
Note that OIB students are not exempt and need to provide a TOEFL, IELTS, CAE, or CPE score at the time of application. EB students are not exempt unless they have English L1 and take all courses except for foreign languages, and music, art, and P.E. in English. All other EB students must submit test scores at the time of application.
- For students with American education (AP levels) no further proof of English proficiency is required if all secondary education is completed in English.
- Chinese students must apply for a Nuffic certficate before their visa application can be submitted, which includes taking an IELTS or TOEFL test. More information.
- German students are admissible if the Abitur grade for English is 13 or higher.
- VWO students with a grade of 8.0 or above on their diploma do not need to provide further proof of English proficiency. If your English grade on your most recent VWO transcript, at the time of the submission of your application, is likely to be below 8.0, you will need to submit a test score. This test score must be included on the date of application, so do plan ahead. This also applies to TTO students.
- For applicants who have completed all of their secondary schooling exclusively in English, except for foreign language courses, no further proof of proficiency is required
If you do not meet the requirements listed above, one of the tests indicated below will provide proof of English proficiency. These tests will always be accepted by UCU as proof of English proficiency (provided that the minimum score was obtained).
Accepted are the IELTS test, TOEFL test, Cambridge Certificate:
|IELTS Academic||A minimum of 7.0 for all components|
|TOEFL||Internet based 100|
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements applicants must demonstrate that they fit a general profile:
- academic excellence and curiosity
- ambition and motivation, academically as well as professionally
- broad intellectual orientation
- interest in contributing to campus life
- social engagement
- affinity with living and studying in an international environment