Visa / Residence Permits

Do I need an entry visa and/or a residence permit?


You do not need to contact the Dutch Immigration Services (IND) yourself.
As a student you will have to submit your application and documents to Utrecht University and we will send your application to the IND after checking if everything is in order and adding our own documents.

Residence Permit

A residence permit allows you to stay in the Netherlands for a sustained period of time. 

To obtain a residence permit you must provide original financial documents that prove you have sufficient means to support the costs of studying and living in the Netherlands.

A residence permit costs € 171.

Once accepted to UCU you will receive more detailed instructions.

Entry visa

International applicants will need to check carefully whether they need a visa to enter the Netherlands. A visa or MVV (Machtiging Voorlopig Verblijf) is a document necessary for entering the country and must be applied for prior to departure. It is a sticker in your passport issued by a Dutch Embassy or Consulate.

A visa is not the same as a residence permit. A residence permit is a document necessary for staying in the country. You will receive the residence permit card after your arrival in the Netherlands.  

When you are admitted to UCU you will receive a form with which you can apply for an MVV. Please keep in mind that visa application procedures take a long time and plan your application accordingly.  

An MVV costs € 171.

All Chinese students must apply for a “Nuffic Certificate” before their visa application can be submitted. This includes taking an IELTS or TOEFL test. More information.

Exchange Students from Australia, Canada and New Zealand

Semester Exchange students from Australia, Canada, and New Zealand have the possibility to apply for the WHP (Canada) or WHS (Australia, New-Zealand) instead of a residence permit for study purposes. This is unfortunately not available to full year exchange students.

The fee for the WHP/WHS permit is 51 euro, whereas a residence permit for study purposes costs € 171. More information.