Talking to someone about inappropriate behaviour

If you think there is a case of inappropriate behaviour, don't keep it to yourself but discuss it, even as a witness. This, of course, takes courage. But we stand for a culture in which students and staff can report things without fear of detriment or unfair treatment. The contact persons will always treat information confidentially.

Unsure where to turn? Don't hesitate to contact one of the people mentioned. You will always be helped. Whoever you ask, we will always help you find the best person to talk to.

Confidential advisor for inappropriate behaviour

(Former) students, (former) employees and PhD candidates can go to the confidential advisor for undesirable behaviour for advice and support. The confidential advisor will be at your side as reporter, will think with you about the possibilities and will guide you in filing a complaint. The confidential advisor will also help you decide whether you need further aftercare or expert support.

What can I expect if I get in touch?

(Former) students and (former) employees can contact the confidential advisors for inappropriate behaviour for advice and support. The confidential advisor for inappropriate behaviour will be on your side when you make contact, will help you to think about the possibilities and will help you to file a formal complaint if applicable. The confidential advisor will also help you decide whether you need further aftercare or support from experts.

When you get in contact, you will be invited for a conversation. During this conversation, you will discuss the situation concerned and any support you may need and will find out more about the possibility of filing a complaint. Any follow-up actions will only be taken with your consent and the information provided will always be treated confidentially.


There are two confidential advisors for inappropriate behaviour: Marian Joseph and Stefan Vuurens. You can contact them directly if you would prefer to speak to a specific person, or send an email to the email address that they both read.

Faculty contact persons for inappropriate behaviour

For advice and support on questions about social safety and undesirable behaviour, please contact your faculty contact person.

What can I expect if I get in touch?

The contact person for inappropriate behaviour acts as the first point of contact within the faculty for any student or employee who has (had) to deal with inappropriate behaviour within the university, for example sexual transgression, discrimination, intimidation, bullying or aggression. The contact person offers a listening ear and, where necessary, refers to the appropriate body, for example, a confidential advisor or the Committee on Interpersonal Integrity (CII). It is also always possible to contact the confidential advisor on undesirable behaviour or CII directly. The conversations held by contact persons are confidential in nature.


    Committee for Interpersonal Integrity

    If you feel that your personal integrity has been violated by someone connected to the UU, you can get in touch with the Interpersonal Integrity Committee.

    What can I expect if I get in touch?

    You can file a complaint with the Interpersonal Integrity Committee. They will then investigate your complaint. The Interpersonal Integrity Committee is neutral and independent.

    You can also contact the committee for an exploratory, informative talk about your situation, how the committee works and what you can expect from the complaints procedure. If, during the discussion, it appears that you can be helped better or also by another person, you will be brought into contact (e.g. manager, confidential advisor, staff welfare service, ombudsperson, external expert, etc.).

    What can I expect if I want to file a complaint?

    After contacting the confidential advisor or the Committee for Interpersonal Integrity, you may decide to file a complaint. The confidential advisor for inappropriate behaviour can help you with this process. A complaint is submitted in writing and contains a description of the inappropriate behaviour, the person to whom the complaint relates and a description of any steps you may have already taken. Where necessary, the committee may ask for more information.

    If you have submitted a complaint, the Committee for Interpersonal Integrity will investigate and assess the complaint and advise the Executive Board on its admissibility. If the complaint is declared admissible by the Executive Board, the Committee will draw up an investigation plan. Both parties, i.e. the complainant and the person to whom the complaint relates, will be heard in this investigation (separately from each other). Afterwards, the Committee will issue a recommendation to the Executive Board. The Executive Board will then decide on the complaint and any measures to be taken.

    Members of the Committee for Interpersonal Integrity

    The Committee for Interpersonal Integrity consists of nine members. An external chairperson, three members from outside UU with professional knowledge and expertise of specific types of violations, three members from within UU with knowledge of the organisation, and two student members.

    ChairJellienke Stamhuis
    Internal memberBrenda Oude Breuil
    Internal memberDaniel Janssen
    Internal memberErwin Maas
    Student memberIzy Dekker
    Student memberSjors Nab
    External memberMiriam Reijnen
    External memberRoel Willems
    External memberSebastiaan Biesheuvel

    You can get in contact via the committee's general e-mail address. If you prefer, you can also contact the chair directly.

    More support

    If you are confronted with inappropriate behaviour, this can have an impact on how you feel and on your studies or work. There are various people at the university who can provide you with support in this situation. Students can talk to the student psychologist or study advisor. Read more about who you can turn to as a student.

    As an employee, you can always contact your manager. The staff welfare service and PhD psychologist can also provide support.

    Social safety

    Together we create a socially safe university. Read more about how you can create a socially safe study and working environment.

    Read more about social safety