The Executive Board presents a competition to write a new song to be played at academic ceremonies. All students, employees and alumni are invited to create and enter a text or a full song. The writer of the winning song receives €1000,-.
For those who want to start writing right away, here are a few things to keep in mind.The new song should exude pride and joy. It embodies who we are, and what it means to be a part of the university’s community.
Inspiration for the song’s contents
- The rich history of Utrecht University
- The future
- Students, professors and researchers
- Connecting with the city
- The value of the university and its open world view
Inspiration for the song form
- Easy to sing along to
- Simple composition
- Classical or modern
- Short and impactful (two minutes max)
- Free build-up: the song does not need a pop build-up. For instance, it could also be a repeating chorus.
- A modern text, possibly in rhyme
- Language: Dutch or English
- Preferably, the university’s slogan ‘Sol Iustitiae Illustra Nos’ is heard in the text.