Immigration & work permit

You may require a visa to enter the Netherlands; this depends on your nationality and the length of your stay.

If you come from an EU country or Switzerland you only need a valid passport. Your nationality entitles you to travel freely to and from all EU members.

Short Stay (up to 90 days)

If you do not come from an EU country or Switzerland and intend to stay in the Netherlands for less than 90 days, you need a Short Stay Visa.

What is a Short Stay Visa (VKV)?

This so called a C-Visa, Schengen-Visa, or tourist visa, is intended for visits of up to a maximum of 90 days. On the Euraxess website, you can check whether you require a Short Stay Visa to enter the Netherlands. This Short Stay Visa, a sticker in your passport, can be issued for one or more journeys. The holder of a Short Stay Visa can travel freely within the Schengen area. You have to apply for a Short Stay Visa in person.

Where to apply?

A Short Stay Visa has to be applied for at the Dutch embassy or consulate in the country of origin. The Dutch embassy or consulate can provide you with an application form. For information about the details and documents you require for this application, we refer you to the Dutch embassy/consulate in the country you presently reside in.

Long Stay (90 days or more)

If you do not come from an EU country and you intend to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, you will probably require an entry visa, the so-called Provisional Residence Permit (also called a D-visa). This depends on your nationality. Please check the government website whether you require this permit.

What is a Provisional Residence Visa (MVV)?

This permit is a sticker in your passport. It is valid for 1 border crossing into the Netherlands only, possibly via another Schengen country. You will have to await the receipt of your Provisional Residence Permit in the country of origin before you can arrange your journey to the Netherlands.

Who has to apply?

Utrecht University can follow an accelerated visa procedure. In order to make use of this, you will have to provide Utrecht University with all necessary details after which you will collect the visa in person from the Dutch embassy or consulate in the country you currently reside in. You will not have to take action until the University asks you to do so. In certain cases, the University chooses to apply for a Provisional Residence Permit for practical reasons even when this is not required.