Utrecht University reserves temporary accommodation via SSH Short Stay for international (non-Dutch) PhD candidates who do not yet live in the Netherlands. Because reserved accommodation is limited and very popular we advise you to book well in advance. You can book four months prior to arrival. Booking is on first come, first served basis. Because we cannot guarantee housing, we strongly advise you not to solely rely on the housing programme, but to also look for housing on your own.
Reserved housing for PhDs
- Go to the SSH website and select "Register for Short Stay accommodations". Registration is free of charge
- Fill out the webform. Select the correct faculty combined with “International PhD’s”. For type of resident, select “UU PhD Candidates” regardless if you hold an employment contract or if you are -temporarily- affiliated through a hospitality agreement.
- Upload a digital copy of your passport or identity card
- Your registration will be reviewed by the UU International Service Desk
- If your registration is correct it will be approved and you can submit a reservation request for your registered time frame via the rent offers page
- If you actually reserve accommodation, you pay a non-refundable down payment of one (first) month’s rent, the one-off cleaning costs and the reservation fee of 75 euros
It is possible that there is no availability within your registered time frame. You can then consider a later arrival, searching on your own, or booking temporary accommodation such as a hotel or hostel at first. Please log out and leave the date fields blank to view any offers available for other months. You can then view the available time frame if you select “more information” after clicking on the offer. If you prefer to change your registered time frame to match an offer, kindly contact the International Service Desk.
Are you under 30, and will you stay for longer than a year?
Then we recommend you to also apply for SSH unfurnished regular accommodation. This can help you find accommodation after the first year. Follow this link to our student website for more information and how to apply.
Types of accommodation
All accommodation via SSH Short Stay is fully furnished and has internet provided. For PhDs, SSH Short Stay mostly offers single person studios with private facilities. There is also a limited number of apartments available that is suitable for couples.
Average rental prices are roughly between 620 and 750 euros for single person studios and between 670 and 950 euros per month including facilities for accommodation suitable for couples.
SSH Short Stay accommodation can be rented for a minimum of one calendar month, and a maximum of one year. You can terminate the rental contract on the first day of the month, subject to a notice period of one calendar month. Extension depends on availability and is only possible if the total rental period does not exceed one year. With each extension a reservation fee of 75 euros is charged.
All accommodation is situated within travelling distance from the various university locations: on Utrecht Science Park, in the nearby community Zeist, and on the International Campus Utrecht.