UGlobe Café Editor Team: apply now!
Since 2017, the Utrecht Centre for Global Challenges (UGlobe) and TivoliVredenburg have organised a highly-successful series of UGlobe Cafés. These events aim to bring academic insights to the public (and vice versa) on global issues relating to human rights, conflict and security, and sustainability and equity. The events take place in a ‘café’ format: a balanced mixture of (brief) lectures, interviews, panel discussions, and other mediums, with significant opportunity for active audience participation. Guest speakers usually include UU-affiliated academics, often accompanied by politicians, journalists, activists and other experts from the Netherlands and beyond. The cafés aim to involve Dutch society in the broadest and most inclusive sense. Previous topics of discussion include the worldwide protest movements, the different forms of climate activism and femicide across the world.
The Student Editor Team
The UGlobe Cafés are coordinated by a student editor team. This group is responsible for creating the program and inviting speakers. In doing so, they work in close collaboration with the UGlobe and TivoliVredenburg teams.
Being a part of the editor team offers you a unique chance to:
- Engage with a broad audience on topics of global importance;
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of fellow students, UGlobe and TivoliVredenburg professionals, and expert guests from all over the world;
- Bring academic knowledge to the public and translate global perspectives into a local context;
- Develop public engagement and other related skills that are transferable to other professional environments
Are we looking for you?
For the organization of a new series of UGlobe Cafés, we are looking for a multi-disciplinary group of enthusiastic, motivated students that want to be part of the editor team. Duties will include:
- Contributing to the program
- Inviting speakers
- Collecting relevant video and photograph materials
- Conducting background research
- Writing briefings for the speakers
What do we ask from you?
- Active participation and the promotion of the UGlobe Cafés in your own network
- Proficient knowledge of spoken and written English
- Time investment of 2 hours per week, on a voluntary basis
Interested? Please send an email to UGlobeemail@example.com along with a short motivation outlining your suitability.