Since the nineties, Utrecht University commends teachers that perform, excite, motivate, and challenge outstandingly with the Outstanding Teacher Award and the Teacher Talent Award. Study associations of Utrecht University can hand in proposals for teachers every year.
A judging committee consisting of exemplary teachers and students of Utrecht University will select three nominations for the Outstanding Teacher Award and three nominations for the Teacher Talent Award. Criteria are for example the educational vision of the teacher, creating interaction with students and the learning experience of students.
The student associations of Utrecht University have written proposals for 25 excellent teachers for the Teacher Awards 2016-2017. This year, 17 teachers were proposed for the Outstanding Teacher Awards and 8 teachers were proposed for the Teacher Talent Awards.
Teacher Talent Award:
- Ingmar Swart (Chemistry, proposed by Utrechtse Scheikundige Studentenvereniging “Proton”)
- Rutger Hermsen (Biology, proposed by Utrechtse Biologen Vereniging)
- Nienke Kuijpers (Veterinary Medicine, proposed by Diergeneeskundige Studenten Kring)
Outstanding Teacher Award:
- Alexei Karas (University College Roosevelt, proposed by Academic Affairs Council)
- Arwen Deuss (Earth Sciences, proposed by Utrechtse Aardwetenschappen Vereniging)
- Stefan Soeparman (Sociology, proposed by Sociologievereniging Usocia)
The winners will be chosen from this shortlist of nominations. To accomplish this, the judging committee will talk with the study associations that proposed these teachers. The winners of the Teacher Awards will be announced during the Onderwijsparade on March 16th. The award will be officially presented during the Dies Natalis of the university on March 27th.