Degree from a Dutch research university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
To be accepted to this Master’s programme you need:
- An academic Bachelor’s degree with specific academic knowledge and skills. You can find these requirements in this document.
- Sufficient command of the English Language.
As a graduate from a Dutch research university you have fulfilled this language requirement.
With the Bachelor’s degrees listed below you meet the required knowledge and skills. Any other Bachelor’s degrees with similar orientations will be assessed by the Admissions Committee on the basis of the requested academic knowledge and skills.
- Interdisciplinary Social Science or Psychology
Other degrees at Utrecht University:
- Educational Sciences, Pedagogical Sciences
- Sociology, including a course on youth. For example from the minor Youth Studies
- Cultural Anthropology, Liberal Arts and Sciences at UCU or UCR, including courses on youth and quantitative or qualitative methods
Other degrees at Dutch research universities:
(if the requirements mentioned at 1 are met), such as:
- Pedagogical Sciences or Educational Sciences
- Sociology or Cultural Anthropology
- Human Geography and Planning
- Health and Society (Wageningen University)
- Health Sciences
- Communication Science
Unsure if you qualify for admission?
In order to properly assess whether you qualify for admission, it is important that we have the right information. It is therefore necessary that you apply through the regular admission procedure and submit the required documents. The Admissions Committee will look into your qualifications for admission and you will receive notification in the form of a letter of (non-, conditional or unconditional) acceptance.
If you have a Bachelor's degree from a Dutch research university and do not fully meet the entry requirements, you may be able to acquire missing knowledge and/or skills via a tailor-made pre-Master’s programme. This is for the Admissions Committee to decide.
Please always apply for the Master’s programme first. If the Admissions Committee determines that you do not meet all entry requirements, they will decide if you are eligible for a pre-Master’s and, if so, what your pre-Master’s programme will look like.
Depending on your previously acquired knowledge and/or skills, you may be asked to take one or more of the following courses:
- Methoden en statistiek van sociaal wetenschappelijk onderzoek
- Academische vaardigheden Algemene Sociale Wetenschappen
- Methoden, technieken en statistiek 3
- Adolescent Development
- Methoden, technieken en statistiek 4
- Youth and sexuality
Please note that a pre-Master's programme is only available for students with a Dutch educational background who do not need housing, and who do not have or require a residence permit for study purposes. In addition, the language of instruction is Dutch.
|Deadline for scholarship applicants|
|Main application deadline|
*Please note that the application deadline for students with an EU/EEA or Swiss nationality may be extended to 1 June. This extension is by no means guaranteed; therefore, we advise all students to finish their application before 1 April. Any new information regarding the application deadline will be published on this website no later than 2 April.
Complete your application in time
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. Your application is complete when you have (1) fully submitted your Studielink ánd OSIRIS application, (2) uploaded all required documents in Osiris Online Application. After the deadline has passed, incomplete applications will be cancelled.
The following documents must be uploaded before the deadline:
Diploma or DUO extract (if graduated)
Transcript from OSIRIS (for Utrecht University students) or certified transcript (for students from other Dutch research universities).
A certified transcript must include courses, grades and a stamp/signature of the institute.
An overview of courses yet to be completed (when you have not yet obtained your diploma)
Motivation statement in English
Curriculum vitae / resume in English
- Checklist Entry Requirements and syllabi of all the courses you list on this Checklist. Not required for all, please check the form for details.
- A copy of your Bachelor’s thesis or similar research report. When you have not yet completed your thesis, submit your research design including your research question, short theoretical framework and methods of research. This is not required for students with a Bachelor's degree at Utrecht University in Interdisciplinary Social Science and Sociology.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and enter contact details of your referee(s).
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.