Degree from a non-Dutch university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
Please note: Please apply for the Master’s Urban and Economic Geography in Studielink (step 5). After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive information for Osiris Online Appliciation (step 6). Please note that Osiris shows the old name of the Master's programme (Human Geography), since the Master's Urban and Economic Geography starts in September 2023.
To be eligible for the Master’s programme Urban and Economic Geography, you must satisfy the following admission requirements:
- An academic Bachelor’s degree in Human Geography, Urban Planning or Regional Planning, or an academic Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Economics, Management and Organisational Sciences, Humanities and Law, provided that you can demonstrate your knowledge and understanding with regard to urban or economic geography;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, both quantitative and qualitative methods for research in Social Sciences.
In principle, students with a Bachelor’s degree from a university must have a GPA of at least 2.4 (on a scale of 1-4) or at least 6.5 under the Dutch system to qualify for admission. A lower GPA may be considered for admission, but the Admissions Committee will look at the student’s marks for courses in international development, performance development throughout the Bachelor’s programme, study duration, relevant work experience and the letter of motivation. A good command of English, both verbal and written, is required in all cases.
English language requirements
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score: 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing, speaking, listening and reading.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score 93 with at least a score of 24 reading, 22 listening, 20 speaking, 20 writing (internet-based test), institutional scores are not accepted.
- Cambridge Certificate (not available to students from China):
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
You are exempt from the English language requirement if:
- You obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University
- You obtained your secondary school diploma or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa
- You obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma.
The Pre-Master’s programme is not available for applicants with a degree from a non-Dutch university.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
Your application is complete when you have (1) fully submitted your OSIRIS application, (2) uploaded all required documents and (3) paid the application fee (if applicable). After the deadline has passed, incomplete applications will be cancelled.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
A scan of your diploma (if necessary with official translations) or Proof of anticipated degree
A scan of your transcript (if necessary with official translations)
A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and pay your application fee.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, International Student Admissions will verify them and send them to the Graduate School for evaluation. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.
If you are admitted, your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment. In most cases your admission is conditional, which means you will have to submit certified digital documents.
Please note that Osiris shows the old name of the Master's programme (Human Geography), since the Master's Urban and Economic Geography starts in September 2023.