Degree from a Dutch research university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
Please note: Please apply for the Master’s Urban and Economic Geography in Studielink (step 5). After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive information for Osiris Online Appliciation (step 6). Please note that Osiris shows the old name of the Master's programme (Human Geography), since the Master's Urban and Economic Geography starts in September 2023.
To be eligible for the Master’s programme Urban and Economic Geography, you must satisfy the following admission requirements:
- An academic Bachelor’s degree in Human Geography, Urban Planning or Regional Planning, or an academic Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Economics, Management and Organisational Sciences, Humanities and Law, provided that you can demonstrate your knowledge and understanding with regard to urban or economic geography;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, both quantitative and qualitative methods for research in Social Sciences.
In principle, students with a Bachelor’s degree from a university must have a GPA of at least 2.4 (on a scale of 1-4) or at least 6.5 under the Dutch system to qualify for admission. A lower GPA may be considered for admission, but the Admissions Committee will look at the student’s marks for courses in urban and economic geography, performance development throughout the Bachelor’s programme, study duration, relevant work experience and the letter of motivation. A good command of English, both verbal and written, is required in all cases.
You may still be eligible for admission if you have a Bachelor’s degree other than one of those enlisted above. In such cases, the admission committee may propose a tailor-made Pre-Master’s programme.
English language requirements
You are exempt from the English language requirement because you obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University.
If you have a Bachelor's degree from a Dutch research university and do not fully meet the entry requirements, the Admissions Committee may propose a tailor-made Pre-Master’s programme to compensate for these deficiencies in your previous education, particularly related to research methods and techniques.
In order to qualify for admission with the Pre-Master’s programme, you should be able to show that your courses (and/or related work experience) have equipped you with sufficient conceptual and empirical knowledge of Urban and Economic Geography.
The Pre-Master's programme generally comprises 15-30 EC. After successful completion of the Pre-Master’s programme, you will be admitted to the Master’s programme.
You cannot apply specifically for a Pre-Master’s programme. Please follow the regular application procedure for the Master’s programme. The Admissions Committee will then decide whether you will be admitted with a Pre-Master’s programme, and if so, which courses you must take. Only then may you register for the Pre-Master’s programme in Studielink.
- A Pre-Master's programme is only available for students with a Dutch educational background who do not need housing, and who do not have or require a residence permit for study purposes. When in doubt about your residence permit, you can send an email Utrecht University's Admissions Office, including a copy of both sides of the permit. Do not forget to state clearly that you are referring to a Pre-Master’s programme.
- The Pre-Master’s programme consists of courses from the Dutch language Bachelor’s ‘Sociale Geografie en Planning’. Therefore, you must master the Dutch language at an academic level.
- There is no guarantee that a Pre-Master’s programme will be offered. Making up for any insufficiencies before applying is always recommended.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
Your application is complete when you have (1) fully submitted your OSIRIS application, (2) uploaded all required documents and (3) paid the application fee (if applicable). After the deadline has passed, incomplete applications will be cancelled.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline (depending on your previous education):
Degree from Utrecht University
Copy of your International Diploma Supplement (IDS) OR if you are about to graduate, then please send us a current transcript of your results from Osiris (including GPA)
Degree from another Dutch research university
Diploma or certified graduation statement (with graduation date and without any conditions)
Copy of your International Diploma Supplement (IDS) OR if you are about to graduate, then please send us a current transcript of your results (stamped and signed, including GPA)
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents and check the status of your application.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.
If you are admitted, your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment. In most cases your admission is conditional, which means you will have to send additional documents or complete more steps.
Please note that Osiris shows the old name of the Master's programme (Human Geography), since the Master's Urban and Economic Geography starts in September 2023.