Honours track: U-TEAch
Are you fascinated by other cultures? Do you have a global and/or European perspective? And most of all, would you like an extra challenge: teaching your school subject in English? Then join our international oriented track: U-TEAch (Utrecht Teacher Education Academy). U-TEAch is a selective honours track which provides extra enrichment to the regular Teacher Education. The course focuses on teaching in bilingual and international schools, and includes an internship abroad in which students live and teach abroad.
U-TEAch is available for the following school subjects:
art history (ckv) | biology | chemistry | civics | Dutch* | economics | English | French | geography | German* | history | informatics | mathematics | physics | religious studies | Spanish*
(*Depending on the availability of internship schools for those subjects)
U-TEAch leads to a Dutch first-degree teaching certificate which fully qualifies you to teach at Dutch schools in your school subject. Besides the first-degree teaching certificate, you will receive a U-TEAch honours certificate to certify your specialization in international and bilingual teaching.
The U-TEAch track is a full-time 1-year programme and is an integrated part of the second year of the Master’s programme Science Education and Communication.
See below for a complete overview of all U-TEAch courses and more information about internships and in-service students.
Candidates for the U-TEAch track will be selected based on the criteria below:
- Applicants should meet the entry requirements that apply to the Master’s programme (see Admission and application).
- Active/Passive understanding of Dutch. The one exception to point 1 is the Dutch proficiency. A good understanding of Dutch is required. Please read detailed information in the pdf-document below.
- Excellent English language skills. Minimum C1 level is required. Candidates can show this by passing one of the following tests: IELTS, TOEFL, CAE or CPE.
- International orientation. E.g. via experience in the Netherlands or abroad with diverse cultural groups and experience living independently abroad (for those who go abroad).
- Strong motivation for teaching in general. You are able to show and reflect on prior (educational) experience involving initiative, innovation, collaboration, responsibility and self-reflection.
- Strong motivation and vision for U-TEAch. You are able to show and reflect on prior (educational) experience in an international and culturally diverse environment.
- Self-management skills. Including: reflective, social/communication skills, planning/organization skills and collaboration skills to work in diverse groups of peers/colleagues.
- Honours profile. You have a GPA for your Bachelor’s or Master’s of 7.0 out of 10 or higher (in the Dutch education system).
Please read below the complete version of the Entry requirements (pdf-document) by clicking the yellow button.
Application & deadline
Are you passionate about international teaching and enthusiastic about the U-TEAch program? Register now via Studielink on the Admission and application page!
Application deadline: 1 april.
The Graduate Admissions Office will determine whether you meet requirements 1, 2 and 3. If so, the U-TEAch Selection Committee will determine if you meet requirements 4 to 8 via your motivation letter, cv, letters of reference, and during the selection interview (which includes an elevator pitch). Please read the exact procedure below.
Dates for the selection interviews (2024)
Early bird (all subjects)
25 & 26 March 2024
English and History
22 & 23 April 2024
Other subjects (all subjects except English and History)
13, 14 & 21 May 2024
The selection interviews will take place at Utrecht Science Park.
The programme starts one week before the opening of the schools (secondary education) in the middle region, with the so called Startweek. Please note that this week is scheduled before the start of the academic year. Attendance during this week is necessary and mandatory.
Holland Scholarship & bursary
The Holland Scholarship is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture & Science and Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences. The scholarship is meant for international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who wish to pursue a master’s degree in Holland. More information about the Holland Scholarship.